Requirements for Eligible Applicants
Eligible teams of pupils in grades 6-12 from school districts or charter schools established under section 118.40(2r) and (2x), private schools and home-based private education programs may submit one application per eligible team.
All team members must be in grades 6-12 during the grant year.
Eligible team participates in a competition that requires teams to design and operate robots. The competition is to be sponsored by a nonprofit corporation as described under s. 501 (c)3 of the Internal Revenue Service. The competition organization encourages young people to develop an interest in science, engineering, technology, and mathematics.
Each eligible team shall have at least one mentor.
Required fees, required kits, and required supplies to participate in a single robotics competition; travel expenses to robotics competition for eligible team members; and a stipend for the mentor of an eligible team.
Each applicant shall secure matching funds in an amount equal to amount requested in application.
There is a maximum award of $5,000. If the requests from applications approved exceed the amount of funding, the department will prorate the amount it awards to each applicant.
Grants shall be for the period of November 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019. All applications must demonstrate an equal amount of matching funds.
Step 1: Submit Online
- Complete your electronically submitted application by following the link below.
- The webpage will display a confirmation page when your application has been received.
Application Due Date
Electronically submitted applications must be received by 11:59 pm on October 15, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted.
Step 2: Print and Mail
- The online form will instruct you to print specific pages of your application.
- A printed copy of your submission must be signed by the School District Principal, Private School Administrator, Charter School Principal,
Home-based School Administrator, or Other Administrator and mailed to:
WI Department of Public Instruction
Attn: Cassandra Fabian
PO Box 7841
Madison, WI 53707-7841
About the Grant
With the recent signing of the biennial budget on September 21, 2017 we are pleased to announce funding for participation in robotics competitions. Under this appropriation, grant awards will be available of up to $5,000 to public schools, 2R and 2X charter schools, private schools and home-based educational programs to facilitate participation in robotics competitions. Effective August 2, 2018, eligible teams include students in grades 6 through 12 and have at least one mentor. Allowable expense will include fees, kits, supplies required to participate in a single robotics competition, travel expenses, and a stipend for the mentor of an eligible team. Read the legislation in full here.
- Robotics Grant Application Instructions - updated 8/16/2018
- PI-2773: Robotics Grant Example Application - an example application to reference before completing the online submission
- PI-2774: Robotics Grant Post-Competition Form - new form coming Fall 2018
- Q & A: Robotics League Participation Grant - update coming soon