How to Verify a GED/HSED Credential
Employers, colleges, and universities who only need to verify that a candidate has a GED or HSED from Wisconsin and the date of issuance (without obtaining certified test scores, transcripts, or credentials) may email a request to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. Here are the key steps:
Email request to GEDHSEDverify@dpi.wi.gov. The request must contain the following information:
- Candidate's name (or names) at time of testing.
- Candidate's full date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Last four digits of the candidate's social security number (due to policy changes, full social security numbers will no longer be accepted)
- Approximate (or actual) year when tests were taken (if known)
- Location of testing (if known)
- Confirmation that you have a signed release on file from the candidate
We will email back the following confirmation depending on the information provided:
- Record that a GED or HSED was issued and the date
- Confirmation that we have no record given the information provided
- An indication that the candidate must contact our office to clear up discrepancies
Every attempt will be made to complete verifications within 2 business days of receipt. We do not provide credential verifications over the phone.
If a certified transcript or duplicate credential is needed, please go to: GED/HSED Transcripts & Credentials
Toll-free: (800) 768-8886