How to Verify a GED/HSED Credential
This service is ONLY for employers, colleges, and universities who only need to verify that a candidate has a GED or HSED from Wisconsin and the date of issuance (without obtaining certified test scores, transcripts, or credentials) may email a request to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. Here are the key steps:
Follow this link Third Party Credential Verification to request an education verification, note the request must come from an official business email.
Be prepared to have the following information prior to submission:
- Candidate's name (or names) at time of testing.
- Candidate's full date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
- Last four digits of the candidate's social security number (due to policy changes, full social security numbers will no longer be accepted)
- Approximate (or actual) year when tests were taken (if known)
- Location of testing (if known)
- A signed release from the candidate
We will email back the following confirmation depending on the information provided:
- Record that a GED or HSED was issued and the date
- Confirmation that we have no record given the information provided
- An indication that the candidate must contact our office to clear up discrepancies
Every attempt will be made to complete verifications within 20 business days of receipt. We do not provide credential verifications over the phone.
If a certified transcript or duplicate credential is required, you can do so at GED/HSED Transcripts & Credentials