How to Verify a GED/HSED Credential
Employers, colleges, and universities who only need to verify that a candidate has a GED or HSED from Wisconsin and the date of issuance (without obtaining certified test scores, transcripts, or credentials) may fax a request to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. Here are the key steps:
Email request to email@example.com or Fax request to (608) 267-9275. The request may be on one sheet of paper and must contain the following information:
- Candidate's name (or names) at time of testing.
- Candidate's full date of birth
- Candidate's full social security number
- Approximate (or actual) year when tests were taken (if known)
- Location of testing (if known)
- Confirmation that you have a signed release on file from the candidate.
We will email or fax back confirmation of the following:
- Record that a GED or HSED was issued and the date, or
- Confirmation that we have no record given the information provided,
- Indication that the candidate must contact our office to clear up discrepancies.
Every attempt will be made to complete verifications within 2 business days of receipt. At this time, phone verifications are not possible.
If a certified transcript or duplicate credential is needed, please go to: GED/HSED Transcripts & Credentials