One benefit of HOSA membership is the opportunity to showcase health science knowledge and skills through competitive events. Students work individually or in teams. Events may include an on-line test, skill demonstration, formal presentation, display of work, or group situation.
A student must be an affiliated dues-paid HOSA member each year to compete. Affiliation must occur by December 15, 2018, and dues must be paid by February 1, 2019, for competing members. Non-competing members may affiliate through February 1, 2019. He/she may choose ONLY ONE competitive events and ANY number of recognition events.
If an event requires on-line testing prior to the Regional Leadership Conference, that is done on a local level with a test proctor present. Test proctors need to be registered by December 15, 2018. The on-line test must be completed during the designated testing window in order to compete at the state conference. This year's on-line testing will begin at 12:01 am on January 2, 2019, and close at 11:59 pm on January 16, 2019.
Active HOSA members gain the opportunity to compete at regional, state, and international levels. The Regional Leadership Conference competition will determine the State Level Qualifiers. At the State Leadership Conference, members who place first, second, or third are given the opportunity to compete at the international competition during the International Leadership Conference. The fourth and fifth placings are considered alternates.
HOSA advisors often ask for suggestions when helping to prepare their HOSA members for regional, state, and international competition. Here are some competition tips that might make a difference!
Wisconsin HOSA Competitive Events
- Wisconsin HOSA Competitive Events Policy 2018-2019 (revised October, 2018)
- Wisconsin HOSA Competitive Events Summary Brochure 2018-2019 (revised October, 2018)
- Wisconsin HOSA Competitive Events that Require Online Testing 2018-2019 (new November, 2018)
- Wisconsin HOSA Competitive Events - What's New for 2018-2019
- Master Competitive Event Resource List 2018-2019
- Medical Reading Books 2018-2019
- Middle School Competitive Events 2018-2019
- Competitive Event Characteristics 2018-2019
- What Competitive Event is Right for You 2018-2019
- Competitive Events the HOSA Way
National Information about Wisconsin Competitive Events
- Competitive Event Guidelines
- Competitive Event Resources
- Competitive Events Preview PowerPoint 2018-2019
- Competitive Events - Tips for Advisors
- HOSA Activity Tracking System for Barbara James Service Award, MRC Volunteer Recognition, and National Service Project:
- STEM Premier and Competitive Events - used for Job Seeking Skills, Researched Persuasive Writing and Speaking, Public Service Announcement, Clinical Specialty, and Health Career Photography
- Competitive Events and the Common Core State Standards
- Common Career Technical Core (alignment with HOSA competitive events)
- National Health Science Standards Competitive Events Crosswalk
- HOSA-Project Lead The Way Biomedical Science Curriculum Crosswalk
Some of these links may take you to a non-DPI Website. Use of these linked sites do not represent a DPI endorsement of the hosting agency nor other information available at the site.