The Department of Public Instruction's Legislative and Policy Outreach Team reviews and monitors key legislation affecting schools, libraries, and the department. The attached Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (updated 10/06/20) provides an overview of all education and library related bills introduced in the 2019-2020 session. The spreadsheet also contains links to these bills, related fiscal estimates from the department, any departmental positions, and related acts and act summaries if the legislation is signed into law. In addition, this End of Session memo provides a summary of selected key education-related bills that were enacted in this session
Additional information on the legislative session can be found on the Wisconsin State Legislature's web page at http://legis.wisconsin.gov/ [Revised 2/14/20]. Hearing schedules for legislative committees can be accessed at http://committeeschedule.legis.wisconsin.gov/ and the full session calendar.
The department's Legislative Liaison, Grant Huber, can answer legislative questions or concerns. Legislative inquiries should be directed to Grant Huber or phone at (608) 267-2003
Summary of Wisconsin Acts by Legislative Council (Prior Legislative Sessions)
The full text of all acts and any related veto messages can also be found on the Wisconsin State Legislature's website.
Legislative Fiscal Bureau 2019 Informational Papers
The background papers below are provided as additional information on key topics.
- State Aid to School Districts (Informational Paper 24)
- Private School Choice Programs (Informational Paper 25)
- Open Enrollment Program (Informational Paper 26)
- Charter Schools (Informational Paper 27)
- Pupil Assessment (Informational Paper 28)
- Statutory Requirements for School Districts (Informational Paper 29)
- School District Reorganization (Informational Paper 30)
- State Property Tax Credits (School Levy, First Dollar, and Lottery and Gaming Credits) (Informational Paper 21)