An Explanation of Online and Blended Learning
As explained in Wisconsin's Digital Learning Plan, in order to be ready for college and career, today’s students need access to high-quality digital resources, virtual instruction, and technology-enhanced learning. Online learning provides a variety of options for leveraging innovative student learning experiences and technologies in order to meaningfully engage the digital generation.
Online learning refers to:
- exclusively virtual instruction,
- blended environments incorporating both virtual and face-to-face instruction, and
- exclusively face to face instruction enhanced with online tools and resources.
Online learning can take place in:
- a school building,
- a student’s home,
- a location within the community, or
- some combination of the above.
Online learning can take place during:
- time when school is in session
- evenings/weekends/holidays, and
- unscheduled school closures.