March 2019 Public Forum of the Wisconsin State Superintendent's Advisory Council on Special Education
Check back to this page for information about the fall public forum date (to be scheduled).
An Advisory Council to the State Superintendent of Public Instruction under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act [20 U.S.C. Chapter 33], Sec. 300.167-300.169 and Wisconsin Statutes, Section 15.377(4)
The mission of the Council on Special Education is to promote the education of children with disabilities by providing broad based input to the Department of Public Instruction.
The Council on Special Education is a committee appointed by the state superintendent to advise the Department of Public Instruction and its Division for Learning Support (DLS) in matters related to the education of all children with disabilities in Wisconsin.
The Council's duties include:
- advising the state education agency of unmet needs in the education of children with disabilities within the state.
- advising the state education agency in developing evaluations and reporting on data to the federal department of education.
- advising the state education agency in developing plans to address findings identified in federal monitoring reports.
- advising the state education agency in developing and implementing policies relating to the coordination of services for children with disabilities and on any other matters upon which the state superintendent wishes the Council's opinion.
- commenting publicly on any rules proposed by the department regarding the education of children with disabilities.
- reviewing the findings of facts, and decisions of hearings and appeals brought before the state superintendent.
Citizens may wish to contact the Council with suggestions or concerns regarding:
- child find activities
- child and parent rights
- due process
- individualized education program development and usage
- inservice activities
- least restrictive environment
- operation of the multidisciplinary team
- use of federal funds
Jennifer Mims Howell
How to nominate a person to serve on the Council: Nomination Form
The U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs, supports projects that provide information and technical assistance to states, local schools, educational professionals and families. One of the projects provides resources to members of State Advisory Panels (SAP) (known in Wisconsin as the State Superintendent’s Advisory Council on Special Education). SAP project website.