Dear District Administrators,
It is the time of the year for an important data collection that is required for a number of state and federally mandated reports. I am writing to remind you of the upcoming December 6 snapshot for data submitted through WISEdata. Also, I want to update on how we’ve tried to reduce the burden and add value for you through our data quality efforts. Data quality alerts in the WISEdata Portal reduce inbox clutter from previously receiving separate emails on each issue and help you prioritize your time. Additionally, we’ve implemented new user training sessions, workshops, and user guides to ensure you feel confident about the accuracy of your data at the time of the snapshot.
Data included in this snapshot:
- 2021-22 Year End Completion data (used to calculate Graduation Rates, Dropout Rates, and Chronic Absenteeism) and Discipline
- 2021-22 Roster and Career Education data
- 2022-23 Third Friday of September Enrollment
- 2022-23 October 1 Child Count of students with disabilities
- 2022-23 Graduation Requirements
- 2022-23 Demographics
- 2022-23 Digital Equity Data (optional)
Once the snapshot is taken, the data are considered certified and final, so it’s critical that data are accurate when the snapshot is taken. As a reminder, the data are used in the following ways:
- public reporting requirements via the WISEdash Public Portal;
- federal reporting, including IDEA Child Count, Career and Technical Education, and ESSA;
- some funding allocations, such as high poverty aid, Perkins, IDEA flowthrough, and preschool allocations; and
- the 2022-23 School and District Report Cards and Joint Federal Notifications.
Given the impact and long-term use of these data, please ensure your district’s data are accurate at the time of the December 6th snapshot.
Special Note on Digital Equity Gap data (optional): In addition to your data being needed for the snapshot, we continue to encourage you to collect and submit the digital equity data elements and student addresses as soon as possible. These data help to ensure all students have the device and internet access they need to be successful.
As you know, you, as district administrator, are responsible for your district’s snapshot data. Many of you work with staff on these submissions. Here are some steps to take as you prepare:
- Use the WISEadmin application to prepare for a successful snapshot, including viewing WISEdash Key Performance Indicators. See the WISEadmin Portal User Guide for Administrative Users on the Help page for more information.
- Use a team approach. Include staff members who work with enrollment, demographic, CTE, and special education data.
- Use WISEsecure accessed through the DPI WISEhome Page to provide staff access to the tools.
- Communicate the importance of the high stakes nature of the data and how it is used.
- The DPI Customer Services team may reach out to assist you with any outstanding data concerns noted by DPI.
- Visit our Snapshot Preparation Guidance page for helpful resources.
- Find answers quickly using the abundance of available resources on our Help page.
- Join us for a Snapshot Preparation Webinar/Q&A November 16 at 10:30 a.m. for public schools and at 1:00 p.m. for charter schools. Find more information in our WISEdata Events Calendar.
We are here to support you to the best of our ability. Please reach out with any questions or problems by submitting a help desk ticket. Or if you have a question from the content of this email, write to DPICustomerService@dpi.wi.gov. Thank you for all you do.
c: Special Education Directors