Below is contact information for the Department of Public Instruction’s most requested services and a Topic Directory. If you wish to request an appointment with DPI staff, please use the contact information below. Any unscheduled walk-ins to the GEF3 building will be greeted at the Plaza level and asked to schedule a future appointment.
Commonly requested services
Teacher Licensing: Please use our licensing online help desk. We typically respond to questions through that help desk in 24 to 48 hours. You may also call us at (800) 266-1027. Voicemails are typically responded to in 48 to 72 hours. If you still need additional support you may arrange for an appointment with our licensing team. Individual service is by appointment only. Appointments may be scheduled 24 hours to one week in advance and are based on availability. Please note that during June and July the department experiences an extremely high volume of inquiries, which may affect response times.
- Please see the following webpage for information on the status of your license application and current licensing processing times: https://dpi.wi.gov/licensing/check-my-license-application-status.
- WAMS assistance: 608-507-5744; submit a ticket
- WISEdash, WISEdata and other data and reporting assistance
- Special Education: 608-266-1781; contact form
- Student Services/Prevention and Wellness (SSPW): 608-266-8960
- Parental Education Options Team: 1-888-245-2732 (Charter Schools, Homeschooling, Open Enrollment, and Private Schools)
If your topic is not listed above, please use our DPI Topic Directory.
Please note, the Department of Public Instruction does not have copies of student records or transcripts for currently operating or closed schools. Please contact the school district where the school was or is located for this information. For information on private colleges please contact the Educational Approval Board at the Department of Safety and Professional Services (608) 266-2112, option 8.
Main line: 608-266-3390; our staff answering the phone will assist with connecting you to the program area, they cannot answer questions related to your topic.