Register now for Wisconsin Trustee Training Week, which will be held Aug. 12-16, 2019. There will be one webinar each day from noon-1 p.m. on a topic that’s relevant to public library boards, friends, and trustees. Webinars are available free of charge and open to anyone.
The schedule of presentations is as follows:
- Monday, Aug. 12 -- Governing Libraries that Inspire Investment -- A primary role of the board is to secure adequate funding for the library. Hear from Rebekkah Smith Aldrich about making the case for funding and inspiring stakeholders to invest in your library. With fierce competition for public and private funds and changing perceptions about what a library actually does, it has never been more important to talk about the essential nature of your library to those you serve to those who make funding decisions about your library. During this webinar you will receive an introduction to the basic building blocks that need to be in place to inspire investment of funding and good will into your library, and you’ll get a front row seat to some of the latest thinking in the profession on how to ensure your library's future in an uncertain world. (register)
- Tuesday, Aug. 13 -- Free is Key: Ensuring Your Library is Meeting its Mission -- Join Dawn Wacek for a discussion of your library's mission and how fine policies may be working against you! Learn the ins and outs of going fine free and what library research and best practice recommendations show about the benefits of making your collection more accessible. (register)
- Wednesday, Aug. 14 -- Effective Library Advocacy -- Hear advice for effective library advocacy from Library Development & Legislation Committee (LD&L) Co-Chairs Connie Meyer and Kathy Pletcher. Covering everyday advocacy to decision-makers and stakeholders as well as Library Legislative Day, hear tips on who to talk to, when, and how from our presenters. (register)
- Thursday, Aug. 15 -- What Does Inclusivity Look Like at Your Library? -- What does inclusive mean to your library and its daily operations? Is your library inclusive? Join Shauna Koszegi, Adult Services Librarian from the Sun Prairie Public Library, as she gives you an overview of the newly released Inclusive Services Assessment and Guide. This guide will help you reflect on how your library can be a place where everyone feels safe, welcome and respected. (register)
- Friday, Aug. 16 -- Recruiting and Retaining Library Directors and Staff -- Expectations are changing when it comes to how long library directors (and other library employees) stay at one job. Join Pat Wagner to learn more about how library boards can attract and retain quality leadership and personnel in a competitive market? What is the “new normal” in terms of director recruitment? Topics include improving board-director relations, reviewing finances and job descriptions, investing in support for better salaries and benefits, setting realistic goals, and being better talent scouts for future hires. (register)
You must register for each webinar individually using the links above, or at https://www.wistrusteetraining.com. More information is also available at that link, and you can also access recordings from the 2015-18 webinars.
Trustee Training Week is coordinated by the South Central Library System with all 16 Wisconsin Public Library Systems sponsoring. Additional financial support comes from the Division for Libraries and Technology and the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).