Purpose: The Precollege Scholarship Program allows students eligible for free or reduced price meals from across the state to experience college life on a college campus while they are attending middle and high school.
- Students must be eligible to receive free or reduced price meals.
- Students must be in grades 6 - 12.
- Programs are available to eligible youth who meet the precollege admission requirements at the campus they chose to attend and based on availability.
- Students must complete the DPI Precollege Scholarship Application form and return it to the college campus.
- Student must receive verification from their middle or high school or a WEOP Education Specialist that they are eligible for free or reduce price meals.
Types of Precollege Programs
- The programs are offered at a variety of public and private colleges/universities in Wisconsin.
- The programs can be residential or non-residential.
- The programs must have either an academic or career emphasis.
- The length of the program varies from campus to campus.
- Programs are offered during the summer as well as during the school year.
Funding According to WI State Statute 20.255 (3) (fz):
- $1.9 million per fiscal year is available.
- The DPI precollege scholarship pays for the cost of the course, books, supplies, and room and board.
- A precollege scholarship is awarded to a student on a competitive basis based on availability.
- Students can receive up to three scholarships per program year.
- College campuses are awarded funds through a competitive process on a two-year grant cycle.
Students interested in the program can fill out the following forms:
- Student Precollege Scholarship Application Form (English Version)
- Student Precollege Scholarship Application Form (Spanish Version)
- Student Precollege Scholarship Application Form (Hmong Version)
2019-21 Precollege Scholarship Program Administrative Documents
2021-23 Precollege Scholarship Program Grant Cycle
WEOP is now accepting Precollege Scholarship Program Proposal Applications for the 2021-23 Grant Cycle. The deadline to submit applications is February 12, 2021. Applications must be submitted electronically to DPI-WEOP:
For institutions with 2019-21 approved programs, applications should be submitted via the secure link provided by DPI-WEOP or contact Alisia Marquez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other institutions, click here to request a secure link to submit your application.
2021-23 Precollege Scholarship Program Administrative Documents (Coming Soon)
For Frequently Asked Questions timelines and due dates, refer to the Precollege Scholarship Proposal FAQs and Deadlines page.