The governors of Wisconsin and Chiba Prefecture, in Japan, initiated a sister-state partnership in 1990. This partnership includes the opportunity for graduates of WI post-secondary colleges/universities and long-term WI residents to serve as assistant English language teachers in Chiba.
Assistant Language Teacher Program (ALT) The Chiba Prefectural Board of Education hires Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs) from Wisconsin to assist English teachers in Japan. Wisconsin's ALTs commit to a one-year contract, renewable for up to five years. ALTs are paid a montly salary of 280,000 yen, with substantial benefits and training.
Application forms and a more detailed program description are available here:
- Program Description
- Click the following link to download the 2023-2024 Application Form
- All required application materials must be complete and submitted online no later than January 6, 2023. (Instructions are included on the application form.)
- The Chiba Prefectural Board of Education is responsible for all hiring decisions and related systems of support.
- The WI Department of Public Instruction facilitates informational interviews of eligible candidates.
- The Chiba Prefectural Board of Education will inform all candidates of their status by late March/early April.
For questions about this information, contact Pamela Delfosse (608) 267-9265