Whole Grade Sharing (WGS) authorizes school boards of two or more school districts to enter into a agreement to provide for the education of students, in one or more grades from pre-kindergarten through grade 12, by one or the other of the districts. An agreement shall be for no less than a full school year.
Learn more about the Whole Grade Sharing program.
A WGS agreement must be signed by February 15 to be effective for the following school year. The steps in the process and deadlines are generally as follows:
- School Board Resolution - The school boards must adopt resolutions stating their intention to enter into, extend, or renew a WGS agreement at least 60 days prior signing an agreement.
- Publication of Notice - The school board must publish notice of the adoption of the resolution within 10 days of adoption of the resolution.
- Citizen Petition - District residents may file a petition requesting a feasibility study within 30 days of publication of the notice.
- Public Hearing - The school board must hold a public hearing at least 30 days prior to entering into, extending, or renewing a WGS agreement.
- Sign WGS Agreement - Sign agreement to begin, extend, or renew a WGS arrangement by February 15 for the next school year.
- Copy to DPI - Provide a certified copy of the WGS agreement to DPI within 10 days of completing an agreement.