You are here

Emergency Assistance for Non-Public Schools (EANS)

The Emergency Assistance for Non-Public Schools (EANS) program was established in the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2021 (CRRSA Act) to provide services or assistance to eligible non-public schools to address educational disruptions caused by COVID-19. The American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act continued the program with some changes.

This webpage refers to CRRSA EANS and ARP EANS separately. The CRRSA EANS program runs through September 30, 2023. The ARP EANS program runs through September 30, 2024.

EANS Program Application

The application window for the ARP EANS program is scheduled to open on December 4, 2021. Schools in the CRRSA EANS program that satisfy eligibility criteria will receive an application link directly from DPI.

A description of the eligibility criteria for ARP EANS is provided in Program Update #12. This spreadsheet provides ARP eligibility information for CRRSA EANS schools.

*If you are not in the CRRSA EANS program and want to apply for ARP EANS, please provide the information requested in this Google Form no later than Wednesday, November 15 in order to receive an ARP EANS application.

ARP EANS applications are due no later than December 27, 2021. DPI will send program acceptance and denial letters no later than January 7, 2021.

The application window for the CRRSA EANS program closed on April 12th, 2021.

CESA Statewide Network

State Education Agencies (SEAs) are responsible for providing services and supports directly to private schools in the EANS Program. In Wisconsin, 12 Cooperative Educational Service Agencies (CESAs) across the state are poised to respond to the needs of private schools as a result of COVID-19.

CESAs have established a Catalog of available services. If a service or support that your school needs is not in the Catalog, reach out to your CESA Administrator to let them know your needs.

EANS Program Administrator: CESA 6

DPI has contracted with Cooperative Educational Service Agency #6 to administer the EANS Program. CESA 6 will manage all reimbursements and disbursements of funds for contracts established with and by CESAs on behalf of private schools in the EANS Program.

Please note that an invoice and proof of payment will be required to submit a claim for a reimbursement, and CESA 6 will hold the title to materials, equipment, and property purchased with EANS funds, including those that are reimbursed. In other words, EANS states that if a cost for materials, equipment, or property is reimbursed, the item will no longer be owned by the private school. To submit a reimbursement or request a direct service please use the WI EANS Program Website to access the appropriate form

CESA 6 hosts webinars for interested staff to learn more about the EANS Program and how different aspects of the program will work.


CRRSA Allocations
The state of Wisconsin received an award of $77,492,001, of which $77,104,541 is available for services or assistance to eligible private schools. Estimated allocations were released in March of 2021. Final allocations are set to be released by the end of May, 2021.

Final CRRSA EANS Allocations for Private Schools (published May 28, 2021)

Preliminary Estimated CRRSA EANS I Allocations for Private Schools

ARP Allocations
The state of Wisconsin received a ARP EANS award of $73,875,583, of which $73,506,205 is available for services or assistance to eligible private schools. 

Final ARP EANS Allocations for Private Schools (updated April 2022)

Allowable Expenses

Private schools accepted into the EANS Program will be able to use EANS funds for the following types of assistance and service:


Allowable Expense Categories and Use of EANS Funds
Assistance Reimbursement (CRRSA Only) Direct Service (CRRSA & ARP)

Supplies to sanitize, disinfect, and clean school facilities

Yes Yes

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Yes Yes

Improving ventilation systems, including windows or portable air purification systems

No* Yes

Training and professional development for staff on sanitization, the use of PPE, and minimizing the spread of infectious diseases

No Yes

Physical barriers to facilitate social distancing

Yes Yes

Other materials, supplies or equipment recommended by the CDC for reopening and operation of school facilities to effectively maintain health and safety

Yes Yes

Expanding capacity to administer coronavirus testing to effectively monitor and suppress the virus

Yes Yes

Educational technology (including hardware, software, connectivity, assistive technology, and adaptive equipment) to assist students, educators, and other staff with remote or hybrid learning

Yes Yes

Redeveloping instructional plans for remote or hybrid learning or to address learning loss

No Yes

Leasing sites or spaces to ensure social distancing

Yes Yes

Reasonable transportation costs

Yes Yes

Initiating and maintaining education and support services or assistance for remote or hybrid learning or to address learning loss

No Yes

*The one exception for reimbursement related to improvements in ventilation is that portable air purifiers are reimbursable.

The ARP EANS program will only fund direct services and supports; no reimbursements are allowed in ARP EANS.

See the Resources section of this page for a document that goes into greater detail about possible allowable expenses.


DPI communicates about the EANS Program via program update emails, which are linked below. The most recent program update is listed first.

DPI has also distributed some targeted communications regarding EANS.

Private schools that did not submit a PI-1207 in 2019-20, or that had an incorrect enrollment of zero students for that year, were provided an alternative certification process.

With the assistance of private school partners around the state, DPI gathered email addresses from schools for which we did not have contact information, and we invited those schools to provide information to receive a CRRSA EANS application.



DPI and CESA Resources


U.S. Department of Education and other Federal Resources



If you have questions about the EANS application process or allocation amounts, please contact

All other EANS questions should be directed to