ELA Standards Review Process
Wisconsin's Standards for English Language Arts began the review and revision process in summer 2019. Specific information about the standards review process can be found on DPI's webpage for standards.
The article linked here summarizes the process, provides information about how to be involved, and explains the status of standards for English language arts in other states.
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has a transparent and comprehensive process for reviewing and revising academic standards. The process began with a Notice of Intent to review and a public comment period from July 9 through August 30, 2019. The State Superintendent’s Standards Review Council examined those comments in September, and recommended to revise the standards. The State Superintendent decided to move forward with the revision process.
The writing committee has developed a draft of the new standards. The first draft was released on January 28, 2020 for a public review and provided to the education committees of the legislature. After the 30 day comment period ends, the State Superintendent’s Standards Review Council will provide further review. The State Superintendent then determines adoption of the standards.
- Use this survey to comment on the draft standards - open until February 28th
- For those who prefer, feedback can also be provided in person at the following listening sessions:
- Oshkosh: 2/10, 4pm - 6pm, CESA 6 - 2300 State Road 44, Oshkosh, WI
- Madison: 2/11 – 4pm to 6pm, Department of Public Instruction, Room P41 - 125 S. Webster St., Madison, WI
- Notice of Intent to Review
Wisconsin Standards for English Language Arts provide clear expectations around student learning at each grade level.
As an integrated discipline, English Language Arts provides opportunities to use specifics skills throughout all aspects of student learning. This site aims to compile high-quality resources to demonstrate what ELA standards-based instruction can look like in the classroom.
Related Resources for the Wisconsin Standards for ELA
- Wisconsin Standards for ELA
- Administrative rules and requirements for WI School District Standards (PI 8)
- Additional documents on the alignment and demands of the standards