Family and Community Engagement means families and communities are active partners and key collaborators in achieving the goal of success for every learner.
- Create a welcoming environment.
- Be respectful of families’ home cultures, values, and languages.
- Recognize families as first teachers of and foremost experts on their child.
- Include families as meaningful participants in school-level decision making.
- Seek out family perspectives through two-way communication, especially from underserved populations.
- Partner authentically in finding solutions and making decisions that impact their child’s learning.
- Empower families through respectful relationships, information and resources, and by connecting families with community assets.
- Partner with community agencies to create more comprehensive and accessible supports for learners and families, beyond the limits of the school day and school year.
- Build cultural and linguistic bridges between families and the system.