You are here

Family and Consumer Sciences Licenses

Things to Remember:

  • Two college courses are required for vocational certification: Issues or Principles of Vocational Education (FCE 394/594)and Organization and Administration of Vocational Cooperative Programs (FCE 396/596).
  • A certain number of hours have to be work experience hours directly related to the vocational certification but other hours can be from other experiences. When looking at vocational certification, the whole experience is taken into consideration.
  • At the conclusion of each job, have your supervisor put on letterhead (with the company's name and address) the number of hours that you worked and a description of the work that you did or tasks for which you are proficient. They must sign the letter. Keep this in a file until you have all the hours you need for certification.
  • Classes taken for college credit (after graduation) count as 95 hours of work experience for each credit.
  • When certifying in a second vocational area (you have Food Service and would like to certify in Child Care Services) only 1000 hours of work experience are needed.
  • The hours one works will be tripled by doing the work through a field experience for college credit. You would enroll in a field experience class (HD 397), keep track of the actual hours worked, have the instructor verify the hours and responsibilities and send this form in with the license application.

The vocational certification process goes as follows:

  1. Obtain an application for a teacher license from either your school district office or DPI.
  2. Collect all letters with verification of work hours.
  3. Collect all transcripts of courses taken since graduation that would relate to the vocational certification application.
  4. Scan and upload documentation via ELO and include your $100 credit card payment for processing.
  5. DPI's teacher certification department reviews the packet; if there are questions about the hours the materials are sent to the FCE Consultant for review before final approval of your license is issued. DPI maintains a searchable database listing all licenses held or pending of Wisconsin teachers.


Call Diane Ryberg, DPI's Family and Consumer Education (FCE) Consultant, at (608) 267-9088 if you have questions about your hours, courses, or documented experience before you turn them in with your money to the teacher certification department. If teacher licensing has questions about your hours, your packet will be sent to Diane for review.


Family and Consumer Sciences - Vocational Licenses


HERO (Home Economics & Related Occupations) - #216

  1. Required to teach "Cooperative Education" courses
  2. One of the following options must be met to receive this certification:
  • 1000 hours of Food Service hours AND 1000 hours of Child Services hours
  • 1000 hours of Food Service hours AND 1000 hours of Family and Community Service hours
  • 1000 hours of Child Services hours AND 1000 hours of Family and Community Service hours
  • Any combination of one of the 3 certifications plus 1000 hours
  • 2000 hours in a paid job


Food Services - #213

  1. Required to teach food service co-op courses
  2. Requires 1000 hours of paid work experience in a job that focuses on various aspects of food service
  • Work must involve preparing food under the same guidelines and regulations as the students that they will place in the Food Service industry.
  • Food demonstrations for a food company will not count towards the 1000 hours.


Child Care Services - #211

  1. Required to teach "Child Care Services" courses and/or "ACCT - Assistant Child Care Teacher" course
  2. Requires 1000 hours of paid work in a day care setting
  • Work must be exclusively with children 5 years or younger. If some of the children are older, the DPI Family & Consumer Education consultant will decide on hours.
  • Babysitting and nanny hours will not count toward the 1000 hours.


Family/Community Services - #215

Requires 1000 hours of paid work experience in a job working in a community-based organization or community sponsored program: e.g., assistance with personal finance, parenting, nutrition, home management, youth leadership, elderly services, or intergenerational program

Examples: (must be a paid job)

  • Work in the dorm or elderly services
  • Community-based organization or service program
  • 4-H, Boys/Girls Clubs, Girl/Boy Scouts
  • Tutoring
  • Religious Training Programs
  • Campus office greeter or program to help visitors
  • YMCA or other after-school programs


For questions about this information, contact Diane Ryberg (608) 267-9088