You are here

Unique Entity ID (SAM) Transition


As of April 4, 2022, the Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) used across the federal government changed from DUNS Number to the Unique Entity ID (generated by Entities that intend to receive federal funding after April 4, 2022, must use the System for Award Management (SAM) at to obtain a UEI.

If your entity is registered with, this new UEI has already been assigned and can be accessed in If your entity does not have a UEI from, you will need to request a UEI at Obtaining a UEI is free. You may receive emails offering to assist with the registration process for a fee but those are not from

Some entities only have a UEI and some entities have a UEI that is registered with

Requesting a UEI with

You will need the following information to request a UEI with

  • legal business name (refer to the IRS documentation);
  • physical address (including ZIP + 4); and
  • user account (sign-up at

To check your entity’s registration status, visit the Status Tracker. A login with a account is required to view entity registration status.