Check out the new Celebrate Summer page for information on ways to celebrate SFSP Week (July 26 - 30th, 2021), Cucumber Crunch (July 29th, 2021) and apply for USDA's Turnip the Beet! Awards.
The Summer Food Service Program provides free meals to low-income children during school vacations. More than 26 million children eat school lunch every day when school is in session, and about half of them receive their meals free or at a reduced price due to low household income. The summer program offers those children nutritious food when school is not in session.
Who is Eligible to Apply:
- Public or private nonprofit school food authorities;
- Public or private nonprofit summer camps;
- Units of local, municipal, county, tribal or State governments;
- Public or private colleges or universities which are currently participating in the National Youth Sports and Precollege Programs; and
- Private nonprofit organizations (special considerations and restrictions apply).
Amount of Funds Available:
The SFSP is a reimbursement program. The actual amount earned by a sponsor is based on the number of meals served, by type, and in some cases, the individual income eligibility of the child served.
Application Due Date:
Applications will open for updates in January 2021. The federal deadline for submission is June 15th for summer operation.
Public Notification SFSP Waiver Requests:
Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) Waiver Requests - January 2, 2020
For more information, contact:
Amy J. Kolano, RD, CD
Summer Food Service Program Coordinator