What is Computer Science in Wisconsin?
Wisconsin defines Computer Science as "an academic discipline that encompasses the study of computers and algorithmic processes, including their principles, their hardware and software designs, their applications, networks, and their impact on society."
This working definition of Computer Science draws upon these five core concepts from the Computer Science Framework :
- Computing Systems
- Networks and the Internet
- Data and Analysis
- Algorithms and Programming
- Impacts of Computing
Visit the DPI Licensing website for more information on Computer Science Requirements
Computer Science Academic Standards
The Wisconsin academic standards for Computer Science were developed by a statewide writing committee and submitted to extensive review by the public and the State Superintendent's Review Council. State Superintendent Tony Evers adopted the standards in June 2017.
The Wisconsin vision for CS standards is shaped by Wisconsin practitioners, experts, and the business community, and is informed by work at the national level and in other states. This vision for K-12 CS standards and the CSTA CS Standards is intended to:
- Introduce the fundamental concepts of CS to all students, beginning at the elementary school level;
- Present CS at the secondary school level in a way that will be both accessible and worthy of a CS credit, or as a graduation credit;
- Offer additional secondary-level CS standards that will allow interested students to study facets of CS in depth and prepare them for entry into a career or college; and
- Increase the knowledge of CS for all students, especially those from under-represented groups in this field.
Understanding & Implementing Standards
As with all the standards, the Wisconsin Standards for Computer Science may be taught and integrated through a variety of classes and experiences. Each district, school and program area should determine the means by which students meet these standards. Through the collaboration of multiple stakeholders, these foundational standards will set the stage for high-quality, successful, contemporary CS courses and programs throughout Wisconsin’s PK-12 systems.