The arts are the areas of: Art and Design, Dance, Media Arts, Music, and Theatre.
Wisconsin students attending public schools have the opportunity to take part in arts areas throughout the state. The Wisconsin Education Standards j, k, and l promote the goal of providing quality experiences in music and visual arts within a student’s elementary school experience. In the middle and high schools, a variety of arts experiences are offered for the continued development of our student’s fine arts skills and knowledge.
The Department of Public Instruction works to support artistic and creative development by:
- disseminating the Wisconsin’s Model Academic standards for each of the arts areas;
- providing professional development resources to support student growth in the arts;
- promoting and supporting the curriculum guide for each arts area;
- providing creativity resources that highlight the research, use, and learning practices for multiple content areas;
- pursuing common goals with state and national professional education organizations, and
- working to build a highly qualified workforce to support student learning in artistic and creative practices.
Resources for School Closures - Arts Content Areas
Arts Instructional Resources - Curated by the State Education Agency Directors of Arts Education (SEADAE) (Video)
Arts Education School Operating Considerations (November 23, 2020)
For additional information about Arts and Creativity Education in Wisconsin, please follow the links available. If you have any questions or wish to share your ideas about arts and creativity education, please contact the Arts and Creativity Education Consultant, Julie Palkowski (608) 261-7494.