The arts are the areas of: Art and Design, Dance, Media Arts, Music, and Theatre.
Wisconsin students attending public schools have the opportunity to take part in arts areas throughout the state. The Wisconsin Education Standards j, k, and l promote the goal of providing quality experiences in music and visual arts within a student’s elementary school experience. In the middle and high schools, a variety of arts experiences are offered for the continued development of our student’s fine arts skills and knowledge.
The Department of Public Instruction works to support artistic and creative development by:
- disseminating the Wisconsin’s Model Academic standards for each of the arts areas;
- providing professional development resources to support student growth in the arts;
- promoting and supporting the curriculum guide for each arts area;
- providing creativity resources that highlight the research, use, and learning practices for multiple content areas;
- pursuing common goals with state and national professional education organizations, and
- working to build a highly qualified workforce to support student learning in artistic and creative practices.
For questions about this information, contact Christopher Gleason (608) 264.9554