Dance Education offers additional dimensions of learning for students to participate in. The physical, mental, social, and expressive nature of this art form offers learners multiple opportunities to explore and develop skills. The full potential of a student involved within dance is realized when:
- sufficient learning time is provided for the mastery of skills, techniques, and reflection of goals,
- dance experiences are instructed by individuals with adequate training, and
- broad in-depth learner experiences are encouraged by the school community.
New Academic Standards Under Review - Dance Summer 2018
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has a transparent and comprehensive process for reviewing and revising academic standards. The process begins with a notice of intent to review an academic area with a public comment period. The State Superintendent’s Standards Review Council examines those comments and recommends whether to revise those standards or continue with the existing standards. If a revision is determined to be needed, a state writing committee is formed to work on revision or development of those standards for all grade levels. That draft is then made available for open review to get feedback from the public, key stakeholders, educators, and the Legislature with further review by the State Superintendent’s Standards Review Council. The State Superintendent then determines adoption of the standards.
- The standards review/revision process
- The checklist used for review of existing/new academic standards to determine if revision or development is needed
- Timeline for Review of Wisconsin Academic Standards
- The State Superintendent’s Dance Standards Writing Committee
- Wisconsin's Model Academic Standards for Dance (1997) - video
Specific information about programming and curriculum design is available through two publications: Wisconsin's Model Academic Standards for Dance Education (1997) and A Guide to Curriculum Planning in Dance (1988). You may purchase each guide at DPI Publication Sales or 800-243-8782. Districts are free to consider the standards of their choosing in their work.
For further information about dance education in Wisconsin, please follow the links:
- Disciplinary Literacy - Dance - Follow this link for additional information about engaging students in creativity, communication, and critical thinking through literacy tools.
- Dance Pedagogy
- Dance Standards - Poster
- Wisconsin Dance Council