20 Standards (Wisconsin Education Standards)
Article X of the Wisconsin Constitution requires that the legislature create school districts “as nearly uniform as possible.” The 20 education standards set forth by state statute 121.02(1) and state administrative rule PI 8 fulfill this constitutional requirement. The 20 standards focus on children, ensuring that youth in Wisconsin have opportunities for high-quality education. By establishing minimum expectations for every district’s education program, the standards signal the clear intent of the state that opportunities and services will be provided to all children, regardless of where they reside.
Districts are expected to meet the requirements of each standard as well as the provisions of the administrative code that further define each standard. Under state statute 118.38(1)(a), districts may seek a waiver for meeting a specific standard or, under state administrative rule PI 8.01(3), apply for alternative compliance in meeting certain standards.
The 20 standards (a.-t.) are linked below, along with additional information:
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl for further information about licensing.
b. Staff development
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/tepdl/pdp for further information about PI 34 Professional Development Plan (PDP).
- Refer to https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/118/015/3 for more information about reading specialists.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/reading for more information about reading education.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/sspw/pupil-services/school-counseling for more information about comprehensive counseling programs.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/sfs/reporting/calendar-days-hours-instruction for information about reporting hours of instruction on the required DPI Annual Report.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/cal/days-hours for more calendar information.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/cal/waivers for waiver information.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/cal/virtual-learning-time for more information about virtual learning time.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/sspw/pupil-services/school-nurse for more information about school nursing programs.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/school-libraries for more information about school library media services.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/parental-education-options/facilities for more information about school building safety and inspection.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/sspw/physical-education for more information about physical education.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/fine-arts/art-design for more information about art instruction.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/fine-arts/music for more information about music instruction.
- Refer to the Teaching and Learning team web page and the Literacy and Mathematics team web page for more information about curriculum planning.
- Refer to the Teaching and Learning team web page and the Literacy and Mathematics team web page for more information about instruction.
- See PI Chapter 26, Education for Employment Plans and Program, for definitions and general requirements.
- Refer to the Career and Technical Education team’s Academic and Career Planning page for more information.
- Refer to https://dpi.wi.gov/gifted for more information about gifted education.