School physical education curriculum, instruction, and assessment involves planning, implementing, and assessing a developmentally appropriate PreK-12 standards-based curriculum that covers critical physical education content, skills, and dispositions.
Invitation to Share Feedback for the Physical Education Standards
The notice of intent for the Wisconsin Model Academic Standards for Physical Education is online. Any individual, group, or agency may submit written comments or information regarding these academic standards through the online survey or email to PhysEd.Standards@dpi.wi.gov. The comment period is scheduled from July 9, 2019, to August 9, 2019. Comments received during that time will be reviewed and considered by the State Superintendent’s Standards Review Council (SSSRC) and the Department of Public Instruction.
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has a transparent and comprehensive process for reviewing and revising academic standards. For more information, visit the DPI Academic Standards web page.
Physical Education Standards
- Wisconsin Rule on Physical Education
- Model Academic Standards for Physical Education (available for purchase at DPI Publication Sales)
- Vertical Alignment of Standards (2010)
- Standards Curriculum Checklist
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- General Physical Education
- Adaptive Physical Education
- Act 105 – Physical Education Waiver Law
- Concussion Law
- Health and Academics
- Health-Related Fitness Assessments
- Essential Components of Physical Education District Survey
- Disciplinary Literacy in Physical Education
- Wisconsin School Health Award
Resources and Links
- Comprehensive Physical Activity Program
- SHAPE America
- Wisconsin Health and Physical Education
- CDC Physical Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (PECAT)
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity Program
- National Association for Chronic Disease Directors School Health Publications
- Best Practices in Health and Physical Education Academy 2018
Subscribe to the Physical Education Email List for important information and state updates.
Active Schools: Core 4+ Strategies
Active Schools: Core 4+ is a set of strategies to increase student physical activity and improve academic learning.
K-12 Instructional Videos and PowerPoints
- Active PE Minutes
- Active Classrooms
- Active Recess/Open Gym
- Before and After School
- Home and Community
- Learn What Core 4+ Could Mean for Your School!
- How "Did You Get Your 60?"
- Healthy Schools - CDC
- 101 Tips for Increasing Physical Activity in Schools
- National and State Examples
- School Publications - NACDD