Physical Education Overview
School physical education curriculum, instruction, and assessment involves planning, implementing, and assessing a developmentally appropriate PreK-12 standards-based curriculum that covers critical physical education content, skills, and dispositions.
Subscribe to the Physical Education Email List for important information and state updates.
Information for Physical Education Standards Revision
The Wisconsin's Standards for Physical Education review and revision process went from summer 2019 to summer 2020, concluding with the State Superintendent's adoption of the revised standards.
Specific information about the DPI's transparent and comprehensive academic standards review process can be found on the standards page. The process began with a Notice of Intent to review and a public comment period in summer 2019.
The public survey yielded an overwhelming response for Wisconsin to use the SHAPE America National Physical Education Standards and Grade Level Outcomes. The writing committee, consisting of higher education faculty, elementary, middle, and high school physical educators and administrators, recommended to the State Superintendent the Wisconsin physical education standards and performance indicators be constructed using the SHAPE America Standards and Grade Level Outcomes as a foundational guide. The committee also advocated for creating grade-level performance indicators for K-8, and adding a third level for high school, to better support the Wisconsin 1.5 credit graduation requirements.
The State Superintendent’s Academic Standards Review Council (SSASRC) examined those comments and recommended revising. The State Superintendent decided to move forward with the revision process. The draft revised standards were reviewed by the public, the SSASRC, and finally the State Superintendent.
- Physical Education Standards (revised 2020)
- State Superintendent's Academic Standards Review Council, process, and checklist
The Wisconsin State Physical Education Standards Writing Committee: Brett Fuller, Co-chair; Penny Kroening, Co-Chair; Deb Sazma; Brock McMullen; Anita Mattek; Mikki Duran; Shannon Maly; Patty Kestell; Sandee Ortiz; Will Westphal; Jo Bailey; Karen Albert; Erica Molitor; Todd Dalle Ave
Physical Education Standards
- Wisconsin Rule on Physical Education
- Model Academic Standards for Physical Education (available for purchase at DPI Publication Sales)
- Vertical Alignment of Standards (2010)
- Standards Curriculum Checklist
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- General Physical Education
- Adaptive Physical Education
- Act 105 – Physical Education Waiver Law
- Concussion Law
- Health and Academics
- Health-Related Fitness Assessments
Resources and Links
- Comprehensive Physical Activity Program
- SHAPE America
- Wisconsin Health and Physical Education
- CDC Physical Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (PECAT)
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity Program
- National Association for Chronic Disease Directors School Health Publications
- Best Practices in Health and Physical Education Academy 2020
Active Schools: Core 4+ Strategies
Active Schools: Core 4+ is a set of strategies to increase student physical activity and improve academic learning.
K-12 Instructional Videos and PowerPoints
- Active PE Minutes
- Active Classrooms
- Active Recess/Open Gym
- Before and After School
- Home and Community
- Learn What Core 4+ Could Mean for Your School!
- How "Did You Get Your 60?"
- Healthy Schools - CDC
- 101 Tips for Increasing Physical Activity in Schools
- National and State Examples
- School Publications - NACDD