Youth Risk Behavior Survey
The Wisconsin Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) is conducted as part of a national effort by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to monitor health-risk behaviors of the nation's high school students. These behaviors, in turn, result in the most significant causes of both mortality and morbidity during youth and adulthood. The behaviors monitored by the Wisconsin YRBS include traffic safety; weapons and violence; suicide; tobacco use; alcohol and other drug use; sexual behavior; and diet, nutrition, and exercise.
The Department of Public Instruction (DPI) has administered the YRBS every two years beginning with 1993. The YRBS is administered to students in Wisconsin's public high schools. Survey procedures were designed to protect the privacy of students by allowing anonymous and voluntary participation. Local parent permission procedures were followed before administration, including informing parents that their child's participation was voluntary.
DPI Reports: Reports posted here were created by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. These reports are intended to be used by a general audience, and to provide more depth on topics. Reports will be added periodically during 2018.
CDC Reports: The documents below were created for Wisconsin by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). They contain detailed data tables and are useful for learning more about specific questions or looking up data points that don’t appear in the DPI reports. CDC will release national (U.S.) statistics from the YRBS 2017 in June 2018. They will be available on the CDC’s website.
- Wisconsin 2017 YRBS Survey Summary
- 2017 Summary Tables
- 2017 Summary Graphs
- 2017 PowerPoint
- 2017 Academic Achievement Report
- 2017 Sexual Identity Report
- 10-Year Trend Report (2007-2017)
- 1993-2017 Trend Report
- Weighted data was not achieved for 2015. Please continue to use 2013 data until 2017 data is collected and made available in January 2018. As we prepare for achieving weighted data in 2017, we welcome testimonials from school districts on why this data is valuable to you. A letter of support template is available below. Letters can be submitted to Molly Herrmann at email@example.com.
- Executive Summary
- Wisconsin High School YRBS Survey
- 2013 Wisconsin YRBS PowerPoint
- YRBS 1993-2013 Trend Graphs
- YRBS 1993-2013 Trend Summary
- 2013 Academic Achievement Report
- 2013 Sexual Identity Report
- 2013 Summary Table
- Press Release
National Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System. This web site includes the most recent YRBS questionnaire for surveys of 9th - 12th grade students, published reports, data files and documentation, and Youth Online, which provides interactive access to national, state, and local survey results.
Youth Online: Comprehensive Results.
YRBS Youth Online lets you:
- Examine risk behaviors in six categories: unintentional injuries and violence, tobacco use, alcohol and other drug use, sexual behaviors, dietary behaviors, and physical activity;
- Compare results from national, state, territorial, and local surveys ;
- Examine trends over time;
- Stratify by race/ethnicity, sex, or grade; and
- View results as tables or graphs.
For questions about accessing or interpreting Wisconsin’s YRBS data, contact Kate McCoy (608) 266-0506 or Molly Herrmann (608) 264-9550. For questions about starting your own local Online YRBS, see the Online YRBS page and contact Mariah Geiger (608) 266-2684.