Welcome to the Wisconsin School Health Award
State Superintendent Evers supports the Wisconsin School Health Award as a way to recognize and celebrate schools with policies, programs, and the infrastructure to support and promote healthy school programming; parental and community involvement; and staff wellness. The goal of this award is to motivate and empower Wisconsin schools as they create and maintain healthy school environments.
Healthy schools create an environment where students can become fit, healthy, and ready to learn! These schools help students achieve their full academic potential as well as supporting them in developing lifelong healthy behaviors. A healthy school provides clear and consistent health messages, accurate health information, and ample opportunity to use it. They recognize that what happens in the classroom, gymnasium, cafeteria, at school events, at home, and in the community are interrelated and can reinforce healthy behaviors. Across Wisconsin families, teachers, school administrators, students, and community members are joining forces to promote healthy schools to improve health and academic outcomes.
Is your school interested in applying? Here are some questions to ask about your school. Does your school:
- Promote healthy nutritional choices?
- Get students active?
- Have policies in place to address and promote staff and student wellness?
- Have a committee to address wellness efforts in your school?
- Actively involve parents?
If you answered YES to these questions your school may be in line for one of the Wisconsin School Health Awards.
2017 Winners Please Note:
The Claim for Reimbursement Form can be used to claim mileage for one car per school for those who attended the Wisconsin School Health Award Ceremony. Claims must be made payable to the school district, rather than the individual school, per DPI Business Office Policy. If you have any questions, please contact Elizabeth Pease at email@example.com.
The Wisconsin School Health Award requires a school to complete only the Alliance for a Healthier Generation Assessment. The Alliance for a Healthier Generation’s Healthy Schools Program helps to create and sustain healthy environments where students, especially for those in greatest need, can learn more and flourish. The Healthy Schools Program Framework of Best Practices identifies specific criteria that define a healthy school environment. Through an assessment tool and a customized action plan, the Framework helps schools work towards the Alliance’s National Healthy Schools Award.
This national assessment
- Eliminates confusion about which evidenced-based assessment tool to use
- Allows for the monitoring and alignment of school-based health policies and practices with national surveillance systems
- Enables better communication of training and technical assistance from Alliance for a Healthier Generation
- Increases access to the Alliance’s Healthy Schools Program six-step process, which addresses additional areas of school need
- National Healthy Schools Bronze Award schools automatically qualify for HUSSC bronze award with monetary incentives with each award level, ranging from $500 - $2000.
The Healthy Schools Program Framework of Best Practices
The Healthy Schools Program website hosts a version of the school health index that includes only the nutrition and physical activity health topics, plus some cross-cutting school health questions. The Healthy Schools Program Framework of Best Practices identifies specific criteria that define a healthy school environment. The Healthy Schools Program Assessment Guide is used to help navigate the Healthy Schools Program Assessment.
- Go to https://schools.healthiergeneration.org/
- Create a Healthier School Login
- Complete the assessment (57 questions). Only the required questions need to be completed. Required and optional will be listed in the upper right hand corner on each question.
- Note: if you have completed an inventory in the past your login and password remain the same.
- Submit the registration form by January 5, 2018. This will notify our team what schools are interested in the Wisconsin School Health Award and for us to provide them with technical assistance.
- Submit the application form, the healthy schools program assessment, and provide evidence of the following by June 1, 2018.
a. Action Plan Report
b. Wellness policy
Alliance for a Healthier Generation Step-by-Step Guide Documents
- Register for the Healthy Schools Program
- Add Your School
- Complete Your Assessment
- Send and Receive Invitations
- Develop an Action Plan
- Access and Complete the District Assessment
- Manage Your Team
The evaluation team will use a Wisconsin Point System to determine award levels (Bronze, Silver, Gold) that is less rigorous than the Alliance award levels.
The award ceremony will be held in the evening of December 7, 2017, at the Building the Heart of Successful Schools Conference.