The Department of Public Instruction's (DPI) AODA program, first authorized under Chapter 331, Laws of 1979, is designed to help local school districts utilize their staff and program resources to develop comprehensive AODA programs. The DPI provides assistance to school districts to develop comprehensive AODA programs which encompass both prevention and intervention services. Prevention programs are designed to help students avoid or minimize future problems related to alcohol and other drug use, while intervention programs are designed to help students who are already experiencing problems. Resources are provided to districts in four general categories: training, technical assistance, information dissemination, and grants. The discretionary grant program supports the development and expansion of district-wide comprehensive, kindergarten through grade 12, alcohol and other drug abuse prevention and early intervention programming as part of a coordinated school health program.
2021-23 AODA Grant Competition: Application and Information
- 2021-23 AODA Competition Application Web Portal (preferred web browser is Google Chrome)
- 2021-23 AODA Grant Guidance Document
2021-23 AODA Grant Rubric – located under Exhibit A of the 2021-23 AODA Guidance Document
- 2021-23 AODA Grant Writers Workshop – Recorded Webinar
- 2021-23 AODA Grant Writers Workshop (PDF) – Presentation Slides
- 2021-23 AODA Grant FAQ’s
AODA Grant Timeline
|April 19, 2021||AODA 2021-23 Competitive Applications Due|
May 31, 2021
|20-21 Budget Change Requests Due|
June 1, 2021
|20-21 End of Year Report Due|
|June 30, 2021||20-21 Fiscal Reports Due|
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services “Small Talks” about alcohol. Learn how to talk to your child about alcohol.
Grant Resources and Forms
- 2020-21 Budget Change Request Form NOTE: The last day to submit an AODA Budget Change Request is June 14. Only changes of 10% or more per line item require Budget Change Requests.
- AODA Program Interim Report Form
- AODA Grant End-Of-Year Report
- Program Fiscal Report
Join Our AODA Listserv
To receive information and updates on grants, workshops, conferences and other ATODA-related resources, contact email@example.com to subscribe to the ATODA listserv.
Student AODA Mini-Grant Program
The AODA Student Mini-Grant Program allows students to submit proposals/projects, with costs up to $1,000, each fall. For more information regarding Student AODA Mini-Grants go to the following link: AODA Mini-Grant.
AODA Biennial Report
Every other year, the Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Prevention Team at DPI provides a biennial report based on funded activities. This report can be accessed here.
The Wisconsin Safe and Healthy Schools Training and Technical Assistance Center
The Wisconsin Safe and Healthy Schools Training & Technical Assistance Center is a collaboration between the CESA Statewide Network and the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction as a new state-wide delivery mechanism for alcohol, tobacco, other drug, violence, and bullying prevention training. The goal of the Safe & Healthy Schools Center is to provide professional learning opportunities for adults in person, online, and follow-up technical assistance. We will continue to build the capacity of Wisconsin schools to plan, implement, and evaluate the programs that most effectively prevent alcohol and other drug abuse and violent behaviors among youth in order to reduce barriers to learning.
The director is Tracy Herlitzke, CESA 4 in West Salem, (608)786-4838, firstname.lastname@example.org
The four regional staff and contact information:
Jackie Schoening: Central Region, (920)236-0515 or email@example.com (Covering CESAs 2, 3, 6)
Alissa Darin: East Region, firstname.lastname@example.org (Covering CESAs 1, 7, 8)
Lynn Verage: North Region, (715)453-2141 or email@example.com (Covering CESAs 5, 9, 12)
Carol Zabel: West Region, (715)720-2145 or firstname.lastname@example.org (Covering CESAs 4, 10, 11)
AODA Assessment Tool and Resources
For information/resources in planning and assessing your district's current comprehensive AODA program, click on the following links:
- AODA Assessment Tool Introduction
- AODA Assessment Tool (hard copy)
- AODA Assessment Glossary
- AODA Assessment Tool Links to Web-Based Resources
- AODA Assessment Tool Frequently Asked Questions
- Combating the Opioid Crisis: Schools, Students, Families
- AODA Web Resources
- Related SSPW Resources
- Effective Scientifically-Based Programs
- Get Smart About Drugs
- Alcohol’s Effects on the Brain: A Reach Out Now Mobile Application
- Surgeon General’s Report on Addictions in America
- Wisconsin Epidemiologic Profile on AODA 2016
- DOJ’s Safe Schools Legal Resource Manual
- Wisconsin Statutes related to ATODA in K-12 public schools
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
Preparing for Opioid-Related Emergencies in K-12 Schools from the Federal Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools Center
SSPW Team AODA Consultants
The Student Services/Prevention and Wellness Team consultants who assist with state-funded AODA grants are listed below in the contact information.
Feel free to contact the DPI staff with questions you may have.