Pandemic: Tools and Sample Plans
A pandemic virus is an outbreak of a new virus to which people have no immunity and for which there is no vaccine, occurring on multiple continents at the same time. As the SARs CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic demonstrated, every school needs to develop a plan to address a possible communicable disease pandemic. Making this plan a part of the school’s overall crisis or safety plan allows school administration to quickly implement the plan.
Many of the national resources for pandemic planning were developed before the global COVID-19 Pandemic. As new resources are created based on lessons learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic these will be replaced.
- School Planning Template PDF
- School Planning Template Word Doc
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Get Your School Ready for Pandemic Flu (April 2017)
- U. S. Department of Health and Human Services Pandemic Influenza Plan 2017 UPDATE
- Pandemic Flu Checklist: K-12 School Administrators
- The Role of Districts in Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans