School-based Suicide Prevention: Overview and Connections - Module 1 of 3
Suicide Prevention Curriculum in Health Education: Overview - Module 1 of 3
Peer-to-Peer Suicide Prevention Grant
The Department of Public Instruction’s Student Services/Prevention and Wellness Team is pleased to announce the 3rd Annual Peer-to-Peer Suicide Prevention Grant Competition. With a focus on training Wisconsin students to recognize the signs of suicide shown by fellow students, peer-to-peer programs use messages of hope, health, and strength to develop peer leaders and resources for students who may be struggling. Any school at which pupils attend high school grades is eligible for this grant. Recipients of a grant under this program may use the grant funds to support an existing peer-to-peer suicide prevention program or implement a new peer-to-peer suicide prevention program. The amount of each individual grant award may not exceed $1,000. The Peer-to-Peer Suicide Prevention Grants are due to DPI on Friday, December 9, at 4:30 p.m. For more information, please visit the Peer-to-Peer Suicide Prevention Grant website.
2022 Suicide Prevention Memo and Model Notice
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline: 24/7 call, text, or chat. For more information on this resource visit the Department of Health Services 988 website
- Wisconsin-based resources available through crisis text line:
- text “HOPELINE” to 741741 or
- visit the Center for Suicide Awareness to be connected with someone in WI who can help
- Trevor Project: A national organization focused on crisis and suicide prevention efforts among LGBT youth.
- Phone: 1-866-488-7386
- Chat: TrevorChat
- Text: “START” to 678678
School Based Suicide Prevention Gatekeeper Training eCourse
DPI’s Gatekeeper Training Module
An important step in protecting all students from the dangers of suicide is the ability to recognize the warning signs of suicide ideation and take appropriate steps to keep a suicidal student safe. This new, interactive suicide prevention gatekeeper module helps schools and districts train their students and staff. The module takes approximately 20 minutes to complete.
Other Resources for Gatekeeper Training
- WISH Center
- Suicide Prevention in a Virtual Environment from the National Association of School Psychologists
- Prevent Suicide Wisconsin