Youth Suicide Prevention
Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis. If you need help, please dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Text “HOPELINE” to 741741 or go to www.centerforsuicideawareness.orgfor 24/7 free trained crisis counselors.
The Trevor Lifeline
A national organization focused on crisis and suicide prevention efforts among LGBT youth.
Resources for “13 Reasons Why”
The teenage years are typically marked by turbulent emotions and stress. The Netflix series “13 Reasons Why” has highlighted the impact and consequences when friends, parents, teachers and school counselors aren’t aware of or don’t know how to intervene when a student needs help.
Below are resources for educators and parents in talking about the issues raised in “13 Reasons Why.”
American School Counselor Association Handout/Fact Sheet
American Federation for Suicide Prevention Tips for Parents
National Association of School Psychologists Considerations for Educators
ASCA Webinar on Using “13 Reasons Why” as a Teachable Moment
Although adults don't often know about it, many Wisconsin youth experience symptoms of depression, think about suicide, make plans to die by suicide, and even make a suicide attempt each year. Wisconsin continues to have one of the highest youth suicide rates in the nation. This web page provides information and resources for youth suicide prevention to school staff, administrators, school boards, and other members of the school community.
Click on one of the topics listed below to learn more.
- Data about youth suicide in Wisconsin and the U.S.
- Wisconsin laws addressing youth suicide prevention and intervention, including Required Annual Notice of Youth Suicide Prevention Resources
- Web-based suicide prevention training for all school staff (Gatekeeper Training)
- Student programs
- Youth suicide prevention/intervention/postvention strategies
- Suicide prevention screening resources
- Recommendations for school or community memorials
- Resources from other organizations
- DPI's full-day youth suicide prevention workshop
Youth Suicide Prevention Workshop Calendar
For registration information for the November 1, 2017, through January 24, 2018, workshops, contact Mary Devine at CESA 4.