Governor Evers' Letter to District Administrators
In response to the recent epidemic growth of vaping device use by youths, Governor Tony Evers collaborated with Department of Health Services Secretary-Designee, Andrea Palm and Department of Public Instruction State Superintendent, Carolyn Stanford Taylor in releasing a detailed letter providing information as to the degree of the problem, the specific impacts of vaping on youths and many resources for parents and schools to use in addressing this issue.
Tobacco Prevention Resources
There have been many changes in tobacco prevention, including the state of Wisconsin going smoke free. This webpage is provided as a resource to school districts or anyone working with youth in tobacco prevention.
Other Tobacco Product (OTP) Resources for Educating Adults
- Wisconsin Safe and Healthy Schools Center webpage for the new OTP video, resources, and trainings
- Tobacco Prevention Resource webpage for information
Other Tobacco Product (OTP) Resources for Educating Youth
- OTP Messaging with Youth Recommendations
- WI Tobacco and Vaping Prevention Lessons
- Advocating for Brain Health Skills Based Unit
- Analyzing Influences on Tobacco sample lesson webinar
This webinar is a sample lesson based on "The Building Skills for Health Literacy: Tobacco" document and training provided by DPI. This lesson can be used with youth as an example of how to start the discussion around analyzing influences.
- Advocacy on Tobacco sample lesson webinar
This webinar is a sample lesson based on "The Building Skills for Health Literacy: Tobacco" document and training. This lesson can be used with youth as an example of advocacy skills and using FACT - Wisconsin's youth tobacco prevention program.
Tobacco Assessment Tool and Resources
- MJC Fact Sheet for Schools
- Resources for School Tobacco Programs: A Selected List (2007 Edition). A resource designed to help Wisconsin school-communities select materials that will assist them in implementing effective programs and policies to help reduce tobacco use among youth.
- School Tobacco Policy Resources: This takes you to a separate page where you can access resources to assist and support local tobacco-free school policy.
- Wisconsin State Statutes: prohibits the use of all types of tobacco on school grounds
- The Wisconsin Tobacco Prevention and Control Program is alerting all school districts that "Right Decisions Right Now" (RDRN) curriculum is actually a Reynolds American, Inc. (RAI) Program (a tobacco company). Below are supporting documents from the Tobacco Free Kids Website and ideas on where to get legitimate and helpful tobacco prevention materials. Also see other links/attachments on this webpage.
- Tobacco Use School Health Guidelines
- Surgeon General Fact Sheets
Tobacco Prevention Links
- Tobacco Control Resource Center for WI - A list of Wisconsin tobacco prevention contacts and resources.
- FDA Legislation on Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act became effective on June 22nd, 2010. For more information go to www.cdc.gov/features/tobaccocontrols/.
- Wisconsin Goes Smokefree
- The state of Wisconsin is smoke free as of July 5th, 2010. For more information go to www.smokefreewi.org and www.wibettersmokefree.com.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Tobacco Website
- Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention - Quitline
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Tobacco Prevention and Control Program
For questions about this information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org (608) 266-8960