Trauma-Sensitive Schools Learning Modules
The Department of Public Instruction's Trauma-Sensitive Schools (TSS) online professional development system is based in an equitable multi-level system of support, focusing first on foundational and universal (tier 1) practices followed by supports for students who need additional and/or ongoing support (tiers 2 and 3). The journey towards becoming a trauma sensitive school is one that builds over time—with knowledge, skills and practice. It’s not something that can be completed through one training or one set of strategies. Becoming a true TSS involves a multi-year transformation process that seeks to embed sustainable changes into school culture, policies, practices and procedures. This evolution occurs through intentional and thoughtful planning and hard work, with the end goal of embedding trauma-responsive practices as the organizational norm.
TSS Module Length
We receive many questions about the length of each module. The length of the modules can vary based on whether you are doing them alone or as part of a PLC. For your convenience, we have estimated the average length of time for each module.
Good luck on your journey! Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions!
Note: TSS Module 4 Update
TSS Module 4 is currently unavailable. This module was removed for clean-up and review after a problem with an external link was discovered. It will be available once all of the external links are working safely and properly. In the meantime, if you are attempting to complete the obligations for the Department of Justice School Safety grant, you may watch Module 6: The Trauma Sensitive Lens for Strategies in lieu of Module 4 - Self Care. Thank you for your patience.
- Module 1 – Getting Started
- Module 2 – Prevalence and Impact of Trauma
- Module 3 – Neuroscience
- Module 4 – Self Care (This module is temporarily unavailable.)
- Module 5 – Trauma-Sensitive Schools
- Module 6 – Trauma-Sensitive Lens for Strategies
- Module 7 – Trauma-Sensitive Environments
- Module 8 – Social and Emotional Learning
- Module 9 – Emotional and Physical Regulation
- Module 10 – Building Relationships
- Module 11 – Cognitive Problem Solving
- Module 12 – Trauma-Sensitive School-Wide Behavior Supports
- Module 13 – Trauma-Sensitive School-Wide Discipline
- Module 14 – Engaging Parents as Partners
- Module 15 - TSS Academic Supports (This module will be coming soon.)
- Module 16 - Disclosures and Confidentiality (This module will be coming soon.)
- Module 17 - Readiness for Tiers 2 and 3
No modules yet available.
No modules yet available.