In addition to guiding the work done by the research analysts on the Policy, Budget, and Research team, the Department of Public Instruction's research agenda is used to evaluate and prioritize resources to support external research projects and confidential data requests. Click here to view DPI's current research agenda.
Wisconsin Education Research Advisory Council (WERAC)
WERAC is a partnership between DPI, the education research community, and practitioners from around Wisconsin to help DPI develop innovative, coordinated and sustainable solutions to the challenges faced by Wisconsin's pupils and educators. Click here for more information about WERAC, a list of members and information about past meetings.
Looking for research and/or evidence-based practices to improve student outcomes?
- What Works Clearinghouse – Reviews of existing research on different programs, products, practices, and policies to provide educators with the information they need to make evidence-based decisions.
- Comprehensive Center Network Resource Library – A repository of materials developed by the Comprehensive Center Network to identify, implement and sustain evidence-based practices to support education outcomes.
- Regional Educational Laboratory Program Publications Lookup – Searchable database of publications on a wide variety of topics.
- Contact your Technical Assistance (TA) Network representative for support implementing evidence-based improvement strategies.
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction provides two early warning systems using calculations made by the Policy, Budget, and Research team:
- The Dropout Early Warning System (DEWS) predicts a student’s risk of either dropping out or graduating from high school in more than 4 years.
- The College and Career Readiness Early Warning System (CCREWS) predicts whether or not a student is likely to be ready for college and career, with college and career readiness defined by three measures of ACT performance as well as college enrollment.