In any school or district where our data shows progress toward equity is slow, we are committed to helping local improvement efforts become stronger, so we can meet the needs of all groups of students. Joint federal identifications are made under the two major federal education laws, the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Districts can access data in SAFE.
Supports Available to Schools with Federal Identifications
Any identification offers the opportunity to strengthen existing continuous improvement efforts at little or no cost. Making progress doesn't always require doing more—sometimes it requires doing things differently, like using data more strategically to understand needs and target improvements toward root causes. We want to provide tools, resources, and supports that empower schools and districts to coordinate efforts, build teams, use data, achieve their goals, and lead for equity.
- The Technical Assistance Network for Improvement, a collaborative statewide effort initiated in 2018, offers CESA-based coordinated supports at no cost, or minimal cost, to all schools and districts in Wisconsin. Those with ESSA/IDEA identifications get priority access.
- The Leading for Learning: Achieving Educational Equity series kicks off in June 2019. It consists of an annual Leading for Equity Summit and a four-part learning series. Each event will build on the learning from the prior opportunity to deepen participants’ understanding of key concepts and provide specific strategies to inform local continuous improvement efforts.
- We offer grant opportunities to help schools and districts to strengthen their continuous improvement. Some programs prioritize schools and districts with federal identifications.
- What are my next steps? See our Timeline of Recommended Actions for Improving Achievement and Closing Gaps
- Continuous Improvement Process Criteria and Rubric (preliminary draft)
- Continuous improvement process diagram
- Local Stakeholder Engagement (preliminary draft)
- Continuous Improvement spot on WISELearn portal (coming soon)
- Key Points: ESSA-IDEA Federal Accountability (preliminary draft)
- Sample Parent Letter (preliminary draft)
- Feb 5, 2019 email to district administrators
- Dec 6, 2018 email to district administrators
- Nov 26, 2018 email to district administrators