This page provides resources of value to Wisconsin public library board members (trustees), as well as tools that can be used to support trustee training and trustee continuing education.
Trustee Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Trustees. This handbook comprises 27 issues of importance to library board members.
Library Administration and Legal Resources
- Administrative Essentials: A Handbook for Wisconsin Public Library Directors
- Chapter 43 - Wisconsin Public Library and System Statutes
- Wisconsin's Open Meetings Law and Library Board Closed Sessions
- Wisconsin Attorney General's Open Meeting Law Compliance Guide (2019)
- FAQ About Wisconsin's Public Records Law
- Records Retention Schedule for Wisconsin Public Libraries and Public Library Systems approved by the Public Records Board for adoption and use by public library boards
- Wisconsin Attorney General's Public Records Law Compliance Guide (2019)
- County Library Planning, Funding, and Related Issues
- Sales Tax Issues for Wisconsin Public Libraries
- Frequently Asked Questions About Compliance With the Parental Access to Library Records Law
Wisconsin Libraries For Everyone Blog
Over the years the Division for Libraries and Technology has used a variety of methods to disseminate information to the Wisconsin library community. We currently communicate via Wisconsin Libraries for Everyone; we encourage trustees to follow this blog.
Trustee and Related Library Organizations
- Wisconsin Library Trustees & Friends (WLTF)
- Wisconsin Library Association (WLA)
- Wisconsin Association of Public Libraries (WAPL)
- United for Libraries (formerly ALTAFF)
Wisconsin Public Library Statistics
- Wisconsin Public Library Service Data. The statistics available from this page allow for comparisons of each Wisconsin public library to similarly situated public libraries in Wisconsin. Statistics are available in Excel and HTML format.
Public Library Policies and Board Bylaws
An important library board responsibility is establishing regulations and policies for the operation of the board and library and for the services provided by the library to the public.
- Wisconsin Public Library Policy Resources Page. This webpage provides resources to help Wisconsin public libraries develop local library policies. Links to Wisconsin public library policies are provided as a resource to help libraries develop and refine their own policies.
- Sample Policies for the Small Public Library. These sample polices were developed by the Small Library Committee of the Wisconsin Association of Public Librarians. 2nd Edition, Revised by David L. Polodna, 1999.
- Sample Library Board Bylaws for Wisconsin Public Libraries. These sample board bylaws were developed by DLT staff and may be freely adapted for local library use.
Other Resources for Library Trustees
- Outagamie Waupaca Library System (OWLS) Trustee Information. This webpage also provides links to many resources in Wisconsin and beyond that may be of interest to trustees.
- Wisconsin Valley Library Service (WVLS) Trustee Resources. Another webpage with trustee links.
- South Central Library System (SCLS) Trustee Page. Provides resources for library trustee orientation and Wisconsin library law.