Engaging in the Formative Assessment Process
Our goal is to provide access to a variety of resources to help educators, teams, schools, and districts implement a high quality formative assessment process.
* Indicates the “start” of the formative assessment process
1. Plan learning targets -->
2. Use teacher designed formative practices --> 3. Interpret evidence -->
4. Provide formative
feedback to student -->
5. Adjust current learning
*Continue the process
The Wisconsin Department of Instruction tries to use the term “formative assessment process” -- the overall cycle shown above -- and “formative practices” -- the teacher strategies that drive this process in lieu of “formative assessments.” This is because the strategic use of formative practices to elicit feedback from students is not a test event, but rather an instructional process.
Student and Teacher Roles within the Formative Assessment Process
The Formative Assessment Process resource highlights the role students and teachers play in every step of the formative assessment process.
Answer the essential questions surrounding implementation of and use of effective formative practices in a strategic assessment system.
Digging Deeper into the Formative Assessment Process
These resources will help you dig deeper into understanding and using formative practices within your classroom, school, or district. Check out these videos to see the formative assessment process in action.
- Formative Assessments Insights Course - 5 Online Modules
- Identifying Effective Formative Assessment Practices presentation and video.
- Formative Assessment Module