Find information on Wisconsin Act 31 and links to Wisconsin’s American Indian nations websites. The information below also includes links to local, regional, state and national organizations that provide education and support to the students, families, and communities. Information on tribal head start programs, school, colleges and universities, and American Indian Studies departments, programs, and services in Wisconsin is also included.
American Indian Studies in Wisconsin (Wisconsin Act 31)
This PowerPoint provides a historical background and overview of the state statutory requirements for American Indian Studies in Wisconsin, which often referred to as Wisconsin Act 31 in public school districts and pre-service education programs. This state statute requires public school districts to provide instruction in the history, culture, and tribal sovereignty of the eleven federally-recognized Wisconsin American Indian nations and tribal communities.
In addition, the activities and services provided by the DPI American Indian Studies Program are described along with information on available publications. Here is the link to the American Indian Studies Wisconsin Act 31 PowerPoint.
American Indian Education in Wisconsin
Starting with a historical overview, the brief gives the reader information about Wisconsin's American Indian nations and tribal communities, resulting in context within which to understand the educational status and achievement of Wisconsin's American Indian students.
It concludes with descriptions of education initiatives and supports aimed at increasing student achievement by these Wisconsin students. Here is the link to the American Indian Education in Wisconsin brief completed in June 2015.
Wisconsin Act 31 Survey Report (2014)
Wisconsin Act 31 refers to the statutory requirement that all public school districts provide instruction in the history, culture, and tribal sovereignty of the eleven federally-recognized Wisconsin American Indian nations and tribal communities.
The goals of the Wisconsin Administrator and Teacher surveys were to find information that would be used to determine how state and tribal agencies can provide information, training, and technical assistance to school districts in teaching and learning about each of the Wisconsin American Indian nations and tribal communities. Here is the link to the Wisconsin Act 31 Survey Report (2014) completed in June 2014.
In addition, here is information on the Wisconsin Act 31 Survey Report (2000).
Wisconsin American Indian Associations, Organizations, or Programs
These links are to community and tribal organizations in Wisconsin that provide information and support for American Indian people, families, and communities in regards to economic development, tourism, education, health, and natural resources.
- American Indian Chamber of Commerce of Wisconsin
- Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission (GLIFWC)
- Great Lakes Inter Tribal Council (GLITC)
- Milwaukee Indian Summer Festival
- Native American Tourism of Wisconsin (NATOW)
- Wisconsin Indian Education Association (WIEA)
- Wisconsin State Tribal Relations Initiative
National American Indian Associations, Organizations, or Programs
The following links are to national level American Indian associations, organizations, and programs in the United States. These associations, organizations, and programs address various aspects of American Indian education, or may have education related services and resources.
- Administration for Native Americans: An Office of the Administration for Children and Families
- American Indian Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC)
- American Indian Library Association (AILA)
- American Indian Science & Engineering Society (AISES)
- Alaska Native Knowledge Network (ANKA)
- Association of Community Tribal Schools
- Bureau of Indian Education (BIE)
- Indigenous Language Institute (ILI)
- National Advisory Council on Indian Education (NACIE)
- National Caucus of American Indian/Alaska Native School Board Members
- National Indian Child Welfare Association (NICWA)
- National Congress of American Indian (NCAI)
- National Indian Education Association (NIEA)
- National Indian Head Start Directors Association (NIHSD)
- National Indian Youth Leadership Project (NIYLP)
- National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI)
- Native American Rights Fund (NARF)
- Office of Indian Education (OIE), U.S. Department of Education
- Tribal Education Departments National Assembly (TEDNA)
- United National Indian Tribal Youth (UNITY) Inc.
Wisconsin Tribal Head Start Programs
These links are to websites of Wisconsin tribal Head Start programs coordinated by and located on or near American Indian nations and tribal communities in the state.
- Bad River Head Start
- Forest County Potawatomi (Gte-Ga-Nes) Head Start
- Ho-Chunk Head Start
- Lac Courte Oreilles Head Start
- Menominee Nation Early Childhood-Head Start/Early Head Start
- Oneida Head Start
- Red Cliff Head Start
- St. Croix Head Start
- Stockbridge-Munsee Head Start
Wisconsin Tribal Schools
Wisconsin has three Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) funded schools and one private American Indian tribal school in the state. The following links provide details about each of these schools, along with information for parents, families, and communities.
- Indian Community School
- Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe School
- Menominee Tribal Schools
- Oneida Nation Schools
Wisconsin Tribal Colleges and Universities
The College of Menominee Nation and Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College area two tribal colleges located in the state of Wisconsin. The primary campuses for these colleges are located on the Lac Courte Oreilles and Menomoniee nations with outreach sites in surrounding communities.
Wisconsin American Indian Studies Departments, Programs, and Services
The following links are to Wisconsin American Indian Studies, Native American, and First Nations departments, programs, and services at institutions of higher education in the state.
- Northland College Native American Studies
- Northland College Native American and Indigenous Culture Center
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire American Indian Studies
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay First Nation Studies
- University of Wisconsin-Madison American Indian Curriculum Services
- University of Wisconsin-Madison American Indian Studies
- University of Wisconsin-Madison American Indian Studies Academic Services
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee American Indian Studies
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee American Indian Student Services
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh Native American Student Services
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Native American Studies
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Native American Center
- University of Wisconsin-Superior First Nation Studies