This section of our webpage presents information important for Choice schools to understand and meet requirements of the Choice programs. From this page, schools will find information regarding important dates reminders and COVID-19, and how to access the Online Application System, process applications, locate and use Choice programs forms, access program bulletins, participate in training for the Choice programs, and the process for a school registering to participate in the Choice programs.
Important Dates and Reminders
This document is a great source for requirements and deadlines at a glance that you can use as a quick reference during the school year.
Parents should see the Parent Page for information specific to parents of students and prospective students of the Choice program.
A summary of common questions and items that have changed for schools participating in the Choice programs as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak is below. Unless otherwise noted, there have not been changes to the Choice program requirements at this time. The memos submitted to the Legislative Reference Bureau listing all of the waivers and due date changes made by DPI are available on the Statutes and Rules webpage.
School Choice Emails to Private Schools
- March 5, 2021 Emergency Assistance for Non-Public Schools Program Update #2
- February 25, 2021 Emergency Assistance for Non-Public Schools Program
- September 10, 2020 Cloth Face Coverings
- September 9, 2020 IMPORTANT: Collecting Free and Reduced Price Meal Information for SY 2020-21
- August 28, 2020 Choice/SNSP 2020-21 - Attendance, Hours of Instruction, and Drills Information
- August 19, 2020 New DHS Guidance DCF Resources and Digital Equity
- August 13, 2020 Choice SNSP 2020-21 Pupil Count Information
- August 12, 2020 ESSER and Guidance Updates
- August 6, 2020 New Health-Related COVID-19 Resources
- July 13, 2020 CARES Act Equitable Participation Update
- July 13, 2020 Mask and Thermometer Allocations to Schools
- June 22, 2020 DPI's Return to School Guidance Available
- June 16, 2020 DPI Update on Reopening Guidance, Videos Celebrating Class of 2020, and Support for Education
- May 29, 2020 New COVID-19 Guidance Graduation Message from State Superintendent 5.29.2020
- May 15, 2020 Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision and USDA Waiver Updates 5.15.2020
- May 7, 2020 DHS graduation event guidelines 5.7.2020
- April 24, 2020 Private School Hours Waiver 4.24.2020
- April 16, 2020 COVID-19 Update 4.16.2020 with attach CCSSO: CCSSO High-Quality OER Curriculum and Resources
- April 16, 2020 DPI WPCP Application Deadlines Extended 4.16.2020
- April 8, 2020 Letter from State Superintendent to Private School Administrators 4.8.2020
- March 16, 2020 COVID-19 Updates Hours of Instruction 3.16.2020
The CARES Act, signed into law on March 27, 2020, provides economic stimulus to individuals, businesses, hospitals, and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in response to the economic distress caused by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Virtual Learning/Online Learning
Schools that participate in the Choice program may use virtual instruction, which counts toward the school required hours of instruction (see Hours of Instruction below). Virtual Learning/Online Learning resources are available on the DPI’s COVID-19 webpage under the Instructional Areas section.
Providing Application Documentation Electronically
Required application documents can be provided to the school electronically. A school can use a pdf, picture, or print screen as long as the document includes all of the required components and Wisconsin law permits copying of the document.
There are two specific items that require a complete document: the first two pages of the federal income tax return if it is required support for the application and a lease agreement, if used for residency documentation, must be a complete, signed lease. See School Application Processing webpage and Appendix C of the Residency Documentation Bulletin for more information.
For information about COVID-19, see the DPI COVID-19 Webpage.
If you have any questions, please e-mail PrivateSchoolChoice@dpi.wi.gov
or call toll free 1-888-245-2732 ext. 3.