Private School Choice Programs: 2023-24 Student Applications
The Private School Choice Programs (Choice) include the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program (MPCP), the Racine Parental Choice Program (RPCP) and the Wisconsin Parental Choice Program or statewide program (WPCP). These programs allow eligible students to attend a participating private school in grades four-year-old kindergarten (K4) to 12.
Each year, parents must complete the Online Parent Application. An email address is required.
Open application periods vary by Choice program. Parents may apply to one or more schools for their student(s) during the available open application period(s).
Parents or guardians with questions should contact the school(s) to which they are applying. School contact information is available below under Find Participating Schools and Open Application Periods.
Apply Now - Online Parent Application
Am I Eligible to Apply for the 2023-24 School Year?
- MPCP: Students must reside in the city of Milwaukee
- RPCP: Students must reside in the Racine Unified School District
- WPCP: Students must reside in Wisconsin but outside the city of Milwaukee and the Racine Unified School District
- Allowed Residency Documents
- Alternative Residency Documentation Form
Age. Students ages 4 - 20 on or before September 1 are eligible to apply for the Choice program. A student must be at least the following age on or before September 1: 4 years old for K4, 5 years old for K5 and 6 years old for grade 1.
Application Grade or Prior Year Attendance Requirement (RPCP and WPCP Only). Students applying to the RPCP or WPCP must:
- (1) be applying to grades K4, K5, 1, or 9, OR
- (2) meet one of the following requirements for the 2022-23 school year: (a) attended a public school in Wisconsin; (b) attended school in another state; (c) were not enrolled in school (including homeschool for the entire 2022-23 school year); (d) participated in the MPCP, RPCP or WPCP; (e) are on a MPCP, RPCP or WPCP waiting list, OR
- (3) are applying to the WPCP and are on any prior year WPCP waiting list in 2015-16 or later due to a school district enrollment cap.
Income Limits. Students who participated in any Choice program in the prior year and students on Choice waiting list in the prior year applying to the same Choice program are not required to provide income documentation.
New Choice students must provide income documentation showing the family income does not exceed the following income limits:
|2023-24 Income Limits|
|Family Size||MPCP and RPCP Yearly Income*||WPCP Yearly Income*|
|*If the student’s parents/legal guardians are married, their income
is reduced by $7,000 when determining income eligibility for the
program (i.e. married family income minus $7,000 is the amount
married families compare to the table).
For additional information about income limits, see the 2023-24 Income Limits resource.
School Lists and Contact Information - Find Participating Schools and Open Application Periods
Click links for a list of Schools, School Contact Information, and School Open Application Period(s) for each program. Parents may apply to one or more schools for their student(s) during the available open application period(s).
Application Checklist for Parents
- Make sure you have a valid email address.
- Decide which school(s) you will apply to and check available application period(s).
- The Online Parent Application gives those who are required to provide income documentation two choices for providing proof of income:
- (1) providing their social security numbers or taxpayer identification numbers and having the Department of Revenue determine whether the student is income eligible OR
- (2) using the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) Income Determination method by answering a series of income questions in the online parent application. Generally, documentation must be submitted directly to the school(s) if the parent selects the DPI Income Determination method.
Parents will receive a confirmation email after they submit an application with information about the supporting documentation parents must provide to the school(s) to complete the application process. All parents will be required to submit residency documentation and some parents will be required to submit income documentation.
- Parents must provide supporting documentation directly to each school they apply to, as explained in the Online Parent Application and the confirmation email, during the open application period or the application is ineligible.
Parents or guardians with questions should contact the school(s) to which they are applying. School contact information is available above in Find Participating Schools and Open Application Periods.
- Overview of Private School Choice Programs in Wisconsin Handout
- Application Guidelines for Parents Handout
Frequently Asked Questions for Parents Webpage (If you would prefer to view this resource in PDF format, see the Frequently Asked Questions for Parents - 2023-24 School Year PDF .)
return to the Choice homepage.
Toll-free : 1-888-245-2732 ext. 3.