Madison Area Middle School Science and Engineering Fair
The Madison Area Science, Technology & Engineering Rising Stars (MASTERS) program was established to provide middle school students (grades 6-8) the opportunity to showcase their research and explorations in STEM subjects. Private, public, and home school students are eligible, from anywhere in the Madison region or beyond. See details below on the winners and pictures from the 2019 event. The next fair will be held on the first or second Sunday in May 2020 in Madison. The goal of the fair is to inspire enthusiasm for science and engineering research and exploration among Wisconsin students. It provides a support system to assist students as they actively participate in science and engineering endeavors.
- Registration link for 2019 MASTERS Fair [can be used to express interest for 2020]
- Flyer for the 2019 MASTERS Science and Engineering Fair [for reference]
- Interested in judging or helping out? Contact: MASTERS.ScienceFair@gmail.com.
- Judging: Students are scored by multiple judges on a simple scale: quality of display (30), depth of knowledge (40), clarity of presentation (30) - total of 100. Students are allowed up to 5 min to present to the judge followed by up to 3 min of questioning.
- Teachers are welcome to attend, but not required. Parents can sign up separately and bring their children.
- Team projects are allowed - up to 2 students.
- All students are recognized for participation, with the top three receiving awards.
Congratulations to all 2019 participants! We hope you continue pursue your science, technology, engineering, and related interests. Thanks to all parents, teachers, judges, and volunteers who helped in 2019. We look forward to your continued support!
The winners of 2019 MASTERS Science Fair were:
- 1st place: Varun Nathan, Jefferson Middle School
- 2nd place: Nihar Ballamudi, Glacier Creek Middle School
- 3rd place: Ananya Chandramouli, Spring Harbor Middle School
Pictures of the winners and their projects (with further pictures of the event and participants here)
1st Place: Varun Nathan
2nd Place: Nihar Ballamudi
3rd Place: Ananya Chandramouli
Contact information for the MASTERS Program
Dr. Sundaram Gunasekaran
MASTERS Middle School Science and Engineering Fair
460 Henry Mall
Madison, WI 53706