Ongoing Professional Learning is a Necessity for Educators
This page includes several resources for individual or group learning related to the Wisconsin Standards for Science (WSS). Many resources are labeled for the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and are also relevant for our WSS. Resources include:
- Learning modules - guided learning supports, including Wisconsin-created "Train-the-Trainer" modules
- Webinars - a range of information about the WSS and NGSS, including how the WSS and NGSS are different and an overview of the WSS
- Videos - while hard to find, there are some initial videos highlighting NGSS/WSS-connected instruction
- WSS Train-the-Trainer Modules - link to a Google folder containing slides, facilitator guides, and participant note pages for five modules: 1) Vision and Overview, 2) 3D Lessons, 3) Assessment, 4) Strategic Planning, and 5) Doing 3D Science.
- *Thanks to CESA leadership and the following individuals for their work on these modules: Darcy Budnik (CESA 1), Jen Breezee (CESA 1), Fayme Evenson (CESA 4), Amy Jonas (CESA 5/MMSD), Ellen Mihm (CESA 10), Thersea Burzynski (Tomahawk), Laura Cerletty, Cathy Drago (Hamilton), Chris Pratt (Kenosha), and Patti Schaefer (MMSD).
- California Academy of Sciences - Understanding NGSS modules - includes facilitators guides and has overviews of the structure, practices, disciplinary core ideas, and crosscutting concepts.
- Stanford NGSS Assessment Project (SNAP) - free MOOCs on NGSS assessment
Introduction to the Wisconsin Standards for Science - recording of webinar from Oct. 12, 2018 (download to view - large file). Slides from the webinar (notes provide the transcript).
- Overview of NGSS (WSS) - short video and graphic
- Carnegie and NSTA Webinars - fabulous NGSS webinar series on 1) selecting and using phenomena, 2) modeling, 3) student discourse, and 4) unit storylines.
- NSTA Archive of NGSS Webinars - includes specific webinars for K-5, all practices, all crosscutting concepts, big ideas of science, assessment, engineering, and more!
- NSTA Professional Learning page - further learning resources on the NGSS
- Bozeman Science, Paul Andersen - short videos on LOTS of aspects of NGSS, plus other great resources
- Ambitious Science Teaching - classroom videos plus their site includes a variety of resources and classroom tools on designing lessons, dialogue, and modeling
- NSTA Video Listing - includes classroom videos and more general videos on the NGSS
- Teaching Channel - has classroom videos and NGSS overview videos, but you have to dig (search NGSS and a grade level). There is also a special series of four NGSS-related videos:
- Videos at the bottom: STEM for English Learners - UW-Madison Resource - includes a couple of classroom videos at the bottom of the web page and more on this page. There are also various resources for supporting dialogue in science and math classes.