Science Standards Resources for Administrators, Coaches, Department Chairs, etc.
Many resources on this page were designed for the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), though they are just as applicable for the Wisconsin Standards for Science (WSS), which were based on the NGSS.
- Science Practices Leadership - excellent resource for administrators and other leaders that includes an observation protocol based on the science practices (with rubrics) and video case studies of classroom instruction. I conducted a workshop using these materials and connecting to the Educator Effectiveness program - those slides can be found here.
- District Indicators Checklist from Achieve - a nice review doc to reflect on implementation efforts. A similar (but shorter) Wisconsin reflection tool can be found here.
- District Implementation Workbook from Achieve - extensive tool for supporting implementation work
- Connects with the National Academies Press's guide to implementing NGSS
- Wisconsin-developed Four-Year Science Implementation Plan
- NGSS Playbook - overview of key aspects of the NGSS standards (just as useful for the WSS) with checklists for learning and implementation, from the state of Oregon Department of Education
- One-Page Overview on Coherence in Science Programs (and as a pdf) - resources and suggetions for development of a coherent science program across vision, materials, learning, assessment, and practice.
- Wisconsin Train-the-Trainer Module on Standards Implementation Planning - developed by a group of CESA and district leaders (other modules on understanding the standards here)
- Nebraska Science Implementation Toolkit - a four-stage implementation outline with linked resources
- Oregon State Elementary Administrator Learning Modules on Science/NGSS
- Washington State Elementary Principal/Leadership Learning Module on Science - free, video-based professional learning from Washington State’s Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction and the Association of Washington School Principals. This video supports elementary principals in developing an understanding of the importance of elementary science and how to lead NGSS in their buildings.
- California Early Implementers Project - lessons learned from NGSS early implementer districts in relation to professional development
- STEM Teaching Tools is a great resource in general - they have two administrator guidance briefs: A Vision for K-12 Science and Successful District Implementation
- WI DPI Science Blog - Several posts here share ideas on NGSS implementation, standards-based grading, and assessment.
For questions about this information, contact Kevin Anderson (608) 266-3319