Indicator 8: Percent of parents with a child receiving special education services who report that schools facilitated family engagement as a means of improving services and results for children with disabilities. For current information regarding this indicator please review the APR.
Parents are an important part of their children's education. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) ensures that parents have the opportunity to participate equally with others on Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams.
- Parents may participate in any meetings about their child's identification, evaluation, and educational placement as a child with a disability, and any meetings about the provision of a free appropriate public education to their child.
- Parents' rights and procedural safeguards should be explained to them throughout the special education process.
- The WI Department of Public Instruction must evaluate how schools facilitate family engagement in a sample of school districts and report it on the State Performance Plan.
- The State Superintendent's Council on Special Education includes parents of children with disabilities.
- The Department of Public Instruction established WSPEI and added a consultant position to support the development of partnerships among schools and families in the education of children with disabilities.
Indicator 8 Family Engagement Survey
Local school districts are working with the U.S. Office of Education and the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) to ask parents about how schools develop partnerships with parents. Parents receive a letter from their child’s school district inviting them to participate in a survey. The letter includes a password allowing access to the survey. Parent who receive a letter may access the survey at https://dpi.wi.gov/sped/families/parent-survey. Parents of students receiving special education services are invited to participate in the survey at least once over a five-year period. This survey is part of a federal data collection that measures the percent of parents who report that schools facilitated family engagement as a means of improving services and results for children with disabilities. If you have any questions about the survey, you may contact DPI Special Education Team, (608) 266-1781.
- June: DPI sends letter to LEAs notifying them of upcoming Indicator 8 Family Engagement Survey activities.
- January - February: DPI uses LEA October 1 Child Count Roster to create list of usernames and passwords so ALL parents in LEA are able to take the survey. DPI emails Director of Special Education / Pupil Services that the Survey Manager application (located in SPED Web Portal) has been opened for the year.
- February 1: Survey window opens. State results are reported to the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) in February for the previous year’s survey results.
- February through June: DPI available for technical assistance as needed for parent survey.
- July 1: Survey window closes.
- September:LEA receives Indicator 8 question by question reports through the Special Education District Profile or the District’s Special Education Web Portal. LEAs may use question by question district reports as part of family engagement planning.
- February: State results are reported to OSEP in February for the previous year’s survey results.
- The WI Statewide Parent-Educator Initiative (WSPEI) is a service for parents, educators, and others interested in parent-educator partnerships for children with disabilities.
- Parent Form Letter 5/2017
- Carta de Formulario para Padres 2/2018
- Additional Parent Form Letter 2/2018
- Carta de Formulario Adicional para Padres 2/2018
- Indicator 8 Guide 2/2017
- Indicator 8 Family Engagement and the IEP Best Practice Checklist 12/2014
- Frequently Asked Questions About the Parent Survey Data Collection
- Sample Survey for Ages 6-21, English (Español, Niños de 6 a 21)
- Sample Survey for Ages 3-5, English (Español, Niños de 3 a 5)
- Family Engagement Survey: School Age Questions (Encuesta de Participación Familiar: Preguntas sobre la Edad Escolar)
- Family Engagement Survey: Preschool Questions (Encuesta de Participación Familiar: Preguntas sobre la Encuesta Para Preescolar)
- 2015-16 Family Engagement Survey Report
For districts who are conducting the Family Engagement Survey: Supporting Students with IEPs, this page provides additional information and resources including directions for data collection, sample parent survey letters, how to generate a mailing to parents, how to send paper surveys, and additional parent survey resources.