State pupil transportation aids are determined under the provisions of Wis. Stat. §. 121.58. The appropriation for reimbursement of transporting public and nonpublic school pupils who are actually transported is found in Wis. Stat. §. 20.255(2)(cr). Review the following documents for important information regarding COVID-19 guidance:
- Pupil Count and Transportation Info in DPI Regulatory Relief Package
- DPI - Interim COVID-19 Transportation Guidance
- State Patrol Issues COVID-19 Bus Guidance
Click below for more information:
Effective with the 2011-12 school year, any balance remaining after paying all claims for pupil transportation aid shall be apportioned among districts. This apportionment shall be based on each district's share of the total claims. For example, if a district's claim equals 0.5 percent of the total claims, the district shall receive 0.5 percent of any residual balance. Residual balance payments shall be paid in June.
Guides individuals entering the 'Regular School' ;Summer/Interim' and 'Vocational Programs' data at the renovated portal.
Includes Regular, Summer/Interim and Vocational.
Provides information related to 13 questions common to pupil transportation reporting.
Provides general information on pupil transportation beyond transportation aid.
- 2021-22 June 14 Transportation Aid Eligible Payments
- 2021-22 January 7 Transportation Aid Eligible Payments
- 2020-21 June 9 Transportation Aid Eligible Payments
- 2020-21 January 8 Transportation Aid Eligible Payments
- 2019-2020 June 9 Transportation Aid Eligible Payments Update
- 2019-2020 January 13 Transportation Aid Eligible Payments
- 2018-2019 Transportation Aid Eligible Payments May 30, 2019
- 2018-2019 Transportation Aid Eligible Payments January 4, 2019
- 2017-2018 Transportation Aid Payment June 8, 2018
- 2017-2018 Transportation Aid Payment January 5, 2018
- 2016-2017 Transportation Aid Payment May 2, 2017
- 2016-2017 Transportation Aid Payments January 4, 2017
- 2015-2016 Transportation Aid Payments May 2, 2016 (Alpha order)
- 2015-2016 Transportation Aid Payments January 5, 2016
- 2014-2015 Transportation Aid Payments June 4, 2015
- 2002-2016 Transportation Aid Eligibility District List
School districts that furnish transportation to and from public and nonpublic schools are entitled to receive state aid at the following rates:
|Distance in Miles||Regular Year||Summer/Interim|
|Less Than 2 Miles (hazardous area)||$15/pupil||--|
|Over 2-5 miles||$35/pupil||$10/pupil|
|Over 5 up to 8||$55/pupil||$20/pupil|
|Over 8 up to 12||$110/pupil||$20/pupil|
Distances are measured from the pupil's residence to the school attended, following the shortest commonly traveled route. Pupil transportation aid for the current year is based on the number of children transported during the prior school year.
School districts can receive this aid. Pupil transportation aid is based on student ridership in the previous year. School districts report ridership in the School Finance Reporting Portal. (Public View Submitted District Data - portal access)
Very few districts provide transportation to pupils enrolled full-time, at the district's expense, in a vocational education, occupational preparation program at a technical college or participate in a 66.0301 vocational program per s. 121.54(5), Wis. Stats. Please contact the School Financial Services team with any related questions.
The statewide dollar amount for pupil transportation aid is appropriated by the legislature. Aid eligibility for each district is determined based on riders from the previous year multiplied by the flat amount per pupil in each distance category. The WUFAR chart of accounts requires that this revenue be recorded in Fund 10, Source 612. Payment date is the last Monday of January. The State of Wisconsin Pupil Transportation aid allocation for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023 continues to be $24,000,000 annually.
Pupil Transportation (PI-1547) for Independent Charter Schools guides school staff in collecting and entering pupil ridership data.