2006 Carl Perkins Act
The Purposes of the 2006 Carl Perkins Act is to assist localities to develop challenging academic and technical standards and to assist students in meeting such standards, including preparation for high-skill, high-wage or high-demand occupations in current or emerging professions; promote the development of activities that integrate rigorous and challenging academic and career and technical instruction, linking secondary education and postsecondary education for career and technical education (CTE) students; provide technical assistance and professional development related to best practices that improve CTE programs, services, activities, and quality of CTE educators, faculty, administrators and counselors; and support partnerships between secondary schools, postsecondary institutions, local workforce investment boards, and business and industry.
The Wisconsin DPI makes available federal Carl D. Perkins Act, 2006 grant funds through a formula allocation to eligible Local Education Agencies (LEAs) for targeted activities related to meeting and exceeding State required adjusted levels of performance.
Wisconsin's Primary Focus:
- Establish Programs of Study (POS) including improvement and expansion of existing POS and the development and implementation of new POS;
- Increasing the rigor of work-based learning programs;
- Improving student performance for special populations through focused activities and support;
- Expansion of Nontraditional Occupations (NTO) career awareness and exploration with increased participation and completion of POS.
Education Agencies wishing to apply must:
- Be a Local Education Agency (LEA) (including a public charter school that operates as a local educational agency) or a consortium;
- Have a formula allocation of not less than $15,001 or apply as part of a consortium;
- Have a Certified Local Vocational Education Coordinator or Licensed CTE Coordinator who provides leadership and oversight in the planning and implementation of the program as well as annual data collection and reporting to DPI.
- Fully complete all sections of the application as directed.