School Level Reporting Application
Access via the Wisconsin State Finance Portal (WiSFiP)
The federal Every Student Succeeds Act (Title I, section 1111) introduced a new requirement for each local education agency (LEA) to report expenditures to their state education agency (SEA), which would in turn report that information to the U.S. Department of Education. Under this reporting requirement, expenditures are reported by school, by funding source (either with federal funds or with state or local funds) and by per-pupil. The School Financial Services (SFS) team worked with the Wisconsin Association of School Business Officials and other stakeholders to develop an online collection tool that assists districts and other Wisconsin LEAs with meeting this requirement.
DPI's plan for implementing School Level Reporting (SLR) is as follows:
- 2018-19 Fiscal Year Collections:
- November 2018: Open SLR collection for 2018-19 budget reporting.
- August 2019: Open SLR collection for 2018-19 annual (year end actual) reporting.
- June 2020: Report 2018-19 annual SLR data to U.S. Dept. of Education.
- 2019-20 Fiscal Year Collections:
- November 2019: Open SLR collection for 2019-20 budget reporting.
- July 2020: Open SLR collection for 2019-20 annual (year end actual) reporting.
- June 2021: Report 2019-20 annual SLR data to U.S. Dept. of Education.
- 2020-21 Fiscal Year Collections:
- November 2020: Open SLR collection for 2020-21 budget reporting.
- July 2021: Open SLR collection for 2020-21 annual (year end actual) reporting.
- June 2022: Report 2020-21 annual SLR data to U.S. Dept. of Education.
- 2021-22 Fiscal Year Onward: SLR collections will use financial and student data submitted through WISEdata. Supplemental data on exclusions may continue to be collected through a modified version of the existing application.
School Level Reporting Resources
ESSA School Level Reporting Videos
What's New for the 2018-19 ESSA SLR Annual (9/5/2019 webinar) (27:23)
A three-part video series on ESSA School Level Reporting:
- Part 1: What is School Level Reporting? (12:59)
- Part 2: Reporting Format and Exclusions (12:03)
- Part 3: The DPI SLR Application (10:25)
Note: Portions of the application have changed since Part 3 was created, so we recommend viewing the "What's New" webinar referenced above.
More detailed information on the data being collected and the expenditure categories that will be reported.
Answers to some frequently asked questions from the field on ESSA School Level Reporting.
Advice on how to respond to error messages or address other common issues while completing the report.
Document to assist LEAs and software vendors with preparing for the SLR budget collection.
Excel workbook to assist LEAs with compiling their budgeted or actual expenditure data for reporting.
A tool--along with a facilitator's guide and webinar--available from the ESEA State Support Network "to help districts and states understand the dynamics of school-level per-pupil reporting in their own district financial data."
Specification of the file upload format and sample report filters for Recommended Standard Exclusions.
SLR Presentation (Spring 2019 CESA 9/WASBO Business Office Professionals)
Current version of the SFS team's PowerPoint presentation on SLR, particularly for business office staff.
Enrollment data available for reference in comparing enrollments used for 2018-19 and 2019-20 school level expenditure reporting.
Budgeted per-pupil school level expenditures based upon data reported by districts/LEAs for the 2018-19 school year.