The 2013-17 Wisconsin State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG) – Focus on PLCs - is authorized by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and funded by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Special Education Programs.
The purpose of the Wisconsin State Personnel Development Grant is to demonstrate that Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) have a strong, positive, and sustainable impact on the academic achievement of students, including students with disabilities. The project will provide continued professional development on PLC formation, functioning, and outcomes supported by PLC coaches over the course of the grant. Student growth will be tracked to demonstrate the impact of PLC functioning on student achievement. To read about SPDG coaching in the schools, visit the DPI-ConnectEd story.
Wisconsin will no longer receive funding directly from OSEP for the SPDG. The current funds will support the work through December, 2018. We are in the process of collaborating with the agency and are excited about continuing the work of the SPDG through alternate funding streams and collaborative partnerships.
What can you do with this State Personnel Development Grant?
Schools in the SPDG grant participate in a variety of activities to improve outcomes for students with IEPs. Here are a few of the activities going on across the state:
- Forming Professional Learning Communities (PLCs)
- Receiving Coaching Support from trained professional systems coaches in implementing Evidence-Based Practices
- Participating in professional development on PLCs, data collection, analysis and application
- Applying data analysis to classroom practice
- Evaluating of effectiveness of PLCs relative to student achievement
- Receiving ongoing support from SPDG partners:
- Accessing a Google+ community connecting grant recipients, families and community, and supporting partners. The community functions as a clearinghouse for additional professional development materials and encourages grant recipients to collaborate and celebrate successes.
State Personnel Development Grant Events
Leading by Convening Webinars
January 9, 2018 (10:00-11:00 AM CST) - webinar link
March 13, 2018 (10:00-11:00 AM CST) - webinar link
- November 14, 2017 (10:00-11:00 AM CST) - Archived Webinar Recording
- October 10, 2017: Leading by Convening : Archived Webinar Recording
- September 25-26, 2017: Innovation in Equity: Improving our Practices
- August 23-24, 2017: The Art of Coaching Teams Institute
- June 22, 2016: SPDG Cohort Conference
- August 15, 2016: IHE Institute Continuing the Conversation: Connecting Leadership Across Systems
This section provides quick access to useful resources for grant participants to effectively carry out the work of the grant. If you have any questions about grant requirements, documentation, and implementation, be sure the review the quick links below.