Student/Staff Name: WISEid/WISEdata/WISEstaff
first, last, middle, suffix (e.g., Jr. or III)
First and last name are required and should be submitted as the student's or staff member's legal name, which is often the name on the birth certificate or a national legal identification document. Please see below for more details and for special circumstances.
Acceptable characters include letters A-Z, hyphen, apostrophe, period, and spaces. Unfortunately, at this point in time diacritical marks are not recognized by the software and will not be able to be submitted.
- Middle name or initial are optional but recommended to help ensure the assignment of a unique, unduplicated WISEid and that you are working with the correct record.
- Acceptable suffix options include: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, Sr, Jr, SJ.
- Former names, nicknames, and other names are also collected in the Other Name fields but are optional.
USES: Student and staff names (legal and other names) are used in the WISEid matching process. The legal name is especially critical because this name is most likely to be submitted consistently over time and across districts for any given person and is used in finding single exact matches (however, see FAQ below). Other names are used in automatically finding possible matches and in the match review process. Throughout the rest of this page, the term ‘person’ will be used to refer to both student and staff members.
FAQs, Details, and Points to Note
- Tips for a WISEid Person File Upload
Use the name to identify the person. This is often the person’s legal name, which is often the name that appears on a birth certificate or a national legal identification document.
If the person is or was commonly known by another name, include that name in the Other Name field. This is especially important if the person is coming from another district because both legal and Other Names are used in the matching process. Use of both increases the chances of finding matches or near matches.
- Tips for a WISEid Person Search
First, try searching for the person’s first and last name.
Next, try searching for the person using another name by which the person is commonly known, if applicable.
Last, include the full date of birth, race/ethnicity, or gender along with name if you were unable to find the person or if the list of matches is large.
- Match Review: Always review the list of possible matches.
- Data Elements for Persons who are Transgender:
- WISEid has fields that state First Name and Last Name. A person could originally be documented in the system by creating a WISEid reflecting a previous name and gender, but then once the WISEid has been created, the name and gender could be changed to reflect the new name and/or gender that aligns with the person’s identity. For purposes of finding possible matches in the match review process over time and across districts, the original name could be used in the “Other Name” field (for persons under 18, with permission from the family).
- For more information, refer to the Data Elements for Students who are Transgender page and the Gender data element page.
- Creating safe and supportive school environments for all youth, including those who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) is essential for their educational success. For more information, please see DPI’s page on Safe Schools for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Students. In addition, districts should refer to the US Department of Education’s Letter to Educators on Title IX’s 49th Anniversary which includes a link to the Office of Civil Right’s June 2021 public notice clarifying Title IX’s protection against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- If the student is participating in the Private School Choice Programs and the school wants to utilize this optional flexibility, please contact email@example.com for information about next steps.
- Other Situations:
- WISEid has fields that state First Name and Last Name. A person is originally documented in the system by creating a WISEid with an existing name, but then once the WISEid has been created, the name could be changed to reflect the new name with which the person uses consistently (such as a change in last name due to marriage).
- System of Record: WISEid is the system of record for all person data. Depending on the particular use case, the source of the data in WISEid can vary between manual entry, use of the Identity API or data sync from WISEdata to WISEid.
- Certified / Snapshot Data: At the time of the student data snapshot, the WISEdata Portal value will be the value pulled into WISEdash and used in the snapshot collection. If a student’s first or last name is changed after the snapshot, it will appear correctly in any “current” data view but would appear as it was prior to the snapshot for that school year.
Submit questions, comments, and suggestions about WISEdata to the DPI Online Helpdesk Application.