You are here

Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment: Career Education / Roster


Dual enrollment includes a variety of programs through which high school students are enrolled simultaneously in both high school and college to earn both high school and college credit. Dual enrollment is reported as part of school and district report cards and general Career and Technical Education (CTE) data used for career pathway development.

USES: Dual enrollment is collected and reported on district and high school report cards in the Postsecondary Preparation section and is displayed within WISEdash for Districts under Career Education and Coursework tab. Career and Technical Education (CTE) utilizes dual enrollment data to highlight components of a career pathway.

Many school districts in Wisconsin create partnerships with colleges and universities to offer dual enrollment courses. The district enters into an agreement with a partnering postsecondary institution to either certify their DPI-licensed classroom teachers to teach the course at the high school, create a distance learning environment, provide online courses, or send students to a college campus for coursework.

Section § 115.385 (d)1.-5., Wis. Stat., requires report cards to include data on pupil participation in various postsecondary preparation opportunities. All data are for grades 9-12. The Postsecondary Preparation section is for information only and does not affect scores. Report cards include dual enrollment counts and percentages of students who successfully complete at least one dual enrollment course for the reporting year. Course and program data are reported by districts to DPI.

District CTE or Career Education teams will also utilize dual enrollment data to strengthen career pathway development. Dual enrollment is used as one of the five size, scope, and quality components of a career pathway as defined by Carl D. Perkins: Strengthening CTE for the 21st Century Act.

Dual enrollment is part of the College Career Readiness (CCR) data, which is under the umbrella of Career Education Programs, it is collected from all districts, grades 9-12.

There are nine program names associated with dual enrollment:

  1. HS course with WI private college
  2. HS course with WI technical college
  3. HS course with WI tribal college
  4. HS course with UW System
  5. College course with WI private college
  6. College course with WI technical college
  7. College course with WI tribal college

  8. College course with UW System

  9. Out-of-state dual enrollment

Dual enrollment is a broad category that includes each of the following:

Early College Credit Program (ECCP)

ECCP applies to courses taken at Wisconsin colleges in person, online, or in a blended format These can be courses at University of Wisconsin system schools, private colleges and universities, or Tribal colleges. Student application is required. One of the program names listed below would be identified in the course setup to describe the scenario:

  • College course with WI private college
  • College course with WI tribal college
  • College course with UW System

Start College Now (SCN)

SCN allows high school students the opportunity to take college courses at Wisconsin Technical Colleges. Statute 38.12(14) lays out all the aspects of the program. Student application is required. These courses should be identified using the following program name in the course setup:

  • College course with WI technical college

Transcripted agreements & Advanced Standing Agreements

The Wisconsin Technical Colleges have partnered with their regional school districts to support DPI licensed CTE teachers to provide transcripted or advanced standing credit at the college for a course taken within the high school. The DPI licensed CTE teacher must work collaboratively with the local technical college to meet instruction and curriculum requirements to offer this type of dual enrollment. These cost neutral partnerships provide dual enrollment opportunities to all students enrolled in the course within the high school. The program name in the course setup would be:

  • HS course with WI technical college

Contracted Course Agreements or Concurrent Enrollment

School districts may also contract college-level courses with postsecondary institutions. These contracts are negotiated between the school district and the postsecondary institution and would outline the instructor responsibilities, curriculum, fees, and any other details. Program names for these courses will vary depending on where the course takes place and which type of institution is providing the credit.

Out-of-State Dual Enrollment

Dual enrollment opportunities are available at out-of-state postsecondary institutions. School districts would utilize contracts and out of pocket expenses to pay for these opportunities. The program name used within the course setup would be:

  • Out-of-state dual enrollment


Districts will utilize their student information system to create a course, schedule students, identify the dual enrollment program name, and submit final grades for the dual enrollment course. The district will create a dual enrollment course for all opportunities available to the student, this includes Early College Credit Program, Start College Now, transcripted agreements, advanced standing agreements, contracted course agreements, and any other dual enrollment agreements that are created. Postsecondary institutions do not submit dual enrollment data to DPI.

Dual enrollment is a designation within the course setup. The district can use any Roster code that fits the course description. Reading the college course description or syllabus to determine the Roster code is suggested. Districts will schedule students into identified dual enrollment courses. Final grades will be entered by the district to show a passing status of the dual enrollment course. For school and district report cards DPI counts high school students who “successfully complete” a dual enrollment course, based on a passing status submitted by the high school. DPI does not account for individual postsecondary rules of earning a “C” or better to earn the postsecondary credit. Districts do not need to alter their scheduling for those scenarios. DPI is collecting all students enrolled in a dual enrollment course.

Part of the Roster collection is identifying a teacher associated with each course. If the dual enrollment course is taught by a university or college instructor, the district can select an Instructor of Record from the high school to be associated with the course. Postsecondary instructors meet the employment requirements of their institution and are not reported to DPI.

Refer to the CTE Data Resources for recorded training to organize your data collection. Refer also to the Career Education Data Reporting (graphic) as a visual summary of Career Education Programs. WISEdata Portal, also has a link to Vendor Resources for data entry training. There is a recorded CTE Data presentation with your student information system vendor and DPI presenting. Each student information system has training and guides on how to set up a course to record the dual enrollment.

The December Roster and Career Education snapshot collects the end-of-school-year dual enrollment data used in report cards. Data collected in the snapshot is viewable in WISEdash for District in the Career Education and Coursework dashboard.

FAQs, Details, and Points to Note

  1. If the school district is not providing high school credit for a college course, does the school report the students as earning dual enrollment?
    The school district should still set up a course for the dual enrollment opportunity in this scenario because the student is “enrolled” in both the high school and the college. Please review local school board policy for credit and transcripts.
  2. Does the college report students taking Early College Credit Program or Start College Now?
    No, the college does not report students taking Early College Credit Program or Start College Now courses to DPI. The public high school that approves students to participate in these opportunities is responsible for reporting the dual enrollment course. The high school will create a course, in their coursemaster that represents the dual enrollment course. The course will be properly identified as dual enrollment in title and within the course setup. The student(s) will be scheduled into that course by the high school. The high school will enter a final grade and send to WISE.
  3. Do Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses count toward dual enrollment?
    No, Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses do not count toward dual enrollment. AP and IB are counted in the Advanced Opportunities category on report cards. AP and IB courses do not provide dual enrollment at the time of the course or the AP or IB exam are given. The student is only enrolled in high school during an AP or IB course or AP Or IB exam. College credit is granted to students by the college or university they enroll in after graduation.

    A school district may have a teacher that offers either dual enrollment or AP or IB for the same course. The district will need to be organized and determine which students are taking the course for dual enrollment and which are taking the course for AP or IB. The district should work with their student information system to understand the specific directions on setting up courses, adding student program associations, or overrides, if applicable.

    NOTE: For report card calculations, if a course is submitted with an AP or IB course code and is set up with dual enrollment program association, the AP or IB program will supersede the dual enrollment program association. Students enrolled in a course set up this way will not be included in the dual enrollment count on report cards but instead will be included in the Advanced Coursework count on the report card.
  4. Is a Project Lead the Way course automatically dual enrollment?
    No, Project Lead the Way courses are not automatically dual enrollment. The school district would need to have a transcripted, advanced standing, concurrent enrollment or contracted agreement in place with university or college for the course to be dual enrollment. The student needs to be enrolled in both high school and college at the same time for dual enrollment. Some Wisconsin universities provide retroactive credit for Project Lead the Way coursework, but this is only granted after the student graduates and enrolls in specific universities. This is not dual enrollment.
  5. The school district reports ECCP and SCN courses only on the transcript. Why does this not show up on the school report card counts?
    WISE does not read transcripts. All school Roster data comes directly from the courses within the coursemaster. Each course must have a Roster code, be identified as dual enrollment within the course setup, send a final grade, and have scheduled students with WISEid’s to properly report. Postsecondary institutions do not send data to DPI.
  6. Should the school district report all students taking ECCP and SCN within the same course?
    No, students should be scheduled into specific courses that properly identify the course title and Roster code for each individual course. This allows the district to examine data trends within WISEdash for District. When ECCP or SCN students are grouped into a single course, the district is unable to identify trends or map career pathway development. Districts may have to create new courses each year for students taking advantage of dual enrollment opportunities through ECCP or SCN.
  7. Is a dual enrollment course taught over the summer included in the Roster collection?
    No, the Roster data collection does not include summer school courses.

For More Information:



If you need further assistance, please submit a Help Ticket -
Select "WISEdata - Roster" from the

applications drop-down menu on the Help Ticket.

To provide feedback, click the "Submit Feedback About This Webpage" button below.



Submit Feedback About This Webpage