Click the links below to navigate to different sections of this page:
What is WISEdata Portal?
The WISEdata Portal (WDP) application is used to verify that data is pushed from your school information system (SIS) to DPI via the WISEdata API.
What is "API"?
API stands for Application Programming Interface. It is a software application that allows DPI’s data warehouse to ‘communicate’ with the many different School Information System (SIS) vendors used by schools across the entire state of Wisconsin. The software used for this is called Ed-Fi Credential, sometimes referred to in shortened form as ‘Ed-Fi’ or ‘Ed Cred’. Visit the Ed-Fi Credential Application web page for more information. This page and others containing more detailed information about Ed-Fi Integration can be found nested under ‘Info for Vendors’ on the WISEdata left-hand menu.
Data Submission Process
1. SIS Selection: School selects a school information system (SIS).
2. Credentialing: School’s SIS must certify as integrated with WI Ed-Fi API.
3. Security Setup: All users who will need WISE access must register for WAMS IDs.
- WAMS IDs are used to log in to WISE applications via the WISEhome portal.
- District administrators will assign users designated security roles to access the various WISE applications.
4. Data Entry: Enter student data into the local SIS, including demographic, enrollment, course work, discipline, and outcome data.
5. WISEid Setup: Request WISEids for all students and teachers.
6. WISEdata Portal Submission: Schools push data from their SIS to the WISEdata Portal for validation.
7. Validation Review: Users review the errors and warnings and make any necessary corrections.
8. Continuous Collection: Schools maintain high quality data, updating information as needed. DPI snapshots are taken periodically to obtain particular data statistics as of a given date. That data is used for state and federal reporting requirements.
1. LEA users enter information into WISEid (at least weekly) manually or via uploads and into their local SIS as often as needed to keep records current and accurate.
2. Data from the SIS and from WISEid flow into WISEdata via the Ed-Fi API.
3. WISEdata runs a validation to check for sound and accurate data, rejects or reports errors and warnings accordingly back to the LEA user.
4. LEA user corrects and modifies data in the SIS and in WISEid until accurate and current in all locations.
5. Info in WISEdata is collected continuously into the data warehouse and shared with WISEdash.
6. WISEdash for Districts dashboards/metrics can be used for analysis in maintaining data and also for improving the student learning experience through data inquiry efforts, such as WISExplore.
7. The general public can review redacted and compiled data in the WISEdash Public Portal.
All data that is entered into a SIS will be subjected to 'validation' - meaning that the data entered is compared to the logic behind the rule that requires the data collection and marked as either 'passing' or 'not passing' the logic. Data can fail to be verified by logic at different levels.
- L1 Validations: These validations mean that the data within your SIS is such that this data will not be able to proceed into the WISEdata Portal (WDP). These errors must be resolved within the LEAs/schools SIS vendor tool.
- L2 Validations: These validations indicate that the data you entered into your SIS vendor tool have successfully been pushed into the WDP. However, there is still a mismatch between the data and the logic behind the data collection. These errors must be resolved within the LEAs/schools SIS vendor tool. There are different types of L2 Validations:
- CRITICAL ERRORS: These data need to be resolved before they will transfer over to the WISEdash portal (referred to as Data Warehouse by Choice schools). Because of this inability to transfer to WISEdash, these are your highest priority to repair. WISEdash is the source of snapshot data. These errors must be resolved within the LEAs/schools SIS vendor tool.
- ERRORS: These data will make it to WISEdash, but the data might not look/be accurate. These errors must be resolved within the LEAs/schools SIS vendor tool.
- WARNINGS: Warnings indicate that the submitted data does not look they way it is expected to look. It could be accurate, but the logic behind the application necessitated that your attention be called to this data. You can 'acknowledge' Warnings as a way to inform that although the data does seem out of norms, it is: (a,) correct, or (b.) you're aware of the anomaly and are in the process of repairing it.
Training materials for these topics can be located on WISEclassroom: WISEdata Portal Overview, WISEdata Portal home screen, WISEdata Portal Alerts, Acknowledging Warnings; WISEdata Validation Messages.
Once data is entered into your SIS, your system will push the information to WISEdata for DPI data quality review and reporting. You will need to log in to the WISEdata Portal to review your data and check for inaccuracies that need correcting.
- WISEdata Portal: Log in to the WISEdata Portal via WISEhome. For info and instructions about logging in, see the WISEhome Info page.
- Review: Check data quality and review validation results. Validation messages come in three types described above.
- Errors: If errors exist, review the error messages and the specific students to which the errors relate.
- Click the red Error Count icon to view the error list.
- The arrow icon to the left will expand a message and display all students affected. The error message displayed in the Portal is a short version to maximize rows displayed on a single page. For more detail, review the Knowledge Base article.
- Make corrections within your SIS as needed.
- NOTE: There is lag time between data entry and availability within the WISEdata Portal. Check with your vendor to determine the schedule for pushing data to DPI and if a manual step, such as pushing a button, is required to push updates. Once pushed to DPI, the data will be validated.
- Warnings: If warnings exist, the data is possible but questionable. Review the warning messages and the specific students to which the warnings relate.
- Data found to be in error must be corrected in your local SIS and pushed to DPI.
- If the data is correct for the student and no changes are needed, then simply acknowledge the warning by checking the box to the left of the student name. Then click Submit.
- Metrics: Review enrollment, attendance, and completion metrics for accuracy and completeness.
- This information is available under Data Quality and Validation Results and must be reviewed. In the filter section above the metric, a download is available to review the specific students included in the metrics.
WISEdata Portal Resource Links
Customer Services Notices & Notifications
Historical info: WISEdata Public Objectives and Task
Knowledge Base Articles Portal (KBAs) - Article Search
Training for WISEdata & WISEdata Portal
WISEdata Reference Guide for Administrators (doc)
WISEdash and WISEdata Snapshot Reference Guide (doc)
WISEdata Validation Rule (sheets)
- Google Community for General WISEdata Discussion
- Google Community for Choice Schools WISEdata Discussion
Visit the WISEdata Calendar of Events for all scheduled, upcoming webinars, and training.
WISEid/WISEdata User Group Agenda - for Public and Choice Schools (View Only doc)
WISEdata Portal FAQ and Use Cases
Didn't Find What You Needed?
The Customer Services Team is here to help!
Please submit a Help Ticket so we may better assist you.