Requirements to obtain an Educational Interpreter Substitute licenses under PI 34.095
Applicants must meet one the following requirements:
- Provides evidence of a passing score on the educational interpreter performance assessment, earned at any point during the interpreter's career. The passing score is 3.3 for educational interpreter substitute licenses.
- The applicant obtains or maintains one of the licenses or certifications listed under PI 34.089(3)(a):
- A sign language interpreter license issued by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services as approved by the state superintendent
- One of the following certifications from the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf:
- National Interpreter Certification
- Registry for Interpreters of the Deaf K-12
- Certificate of interpretation and certificate of transliteration
- Comprehensive skills certificate
- Master comprehensive skills certificate
- Certified deaf interpreter or deaf interpreter
- A basic, advanced, or master certification from the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters
- Certification from an organization approved by the State Superintendent's advisory council on deaf and hard of hearing programs
How to Apply for an Educational Interpreter Substitute License:
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Review the information above for eligibility requirements. There are two eligibility options. Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Verification of a valid certification from one of the organizations listed under PI 34.086.
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
- Find the Start a New Transaction for a New License section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the drop-down menu in the application screenshot below:
- Choose "4-Other Category"
- Choose Educational Interpreter License [O020]
- Choose Educational Interpreter: Request Substitute License 
- Click the "GO!" button.
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
Click the GO! button next to "Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application."
Review your fees
Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions)
Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card.
For questions about this information, contact Ariana Baker