This application is for educators who:
- Have earned a master's degree and hold a current speech and language pathology license with the Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS);
- Are not yet eligible to hold a DPI Tier II-Provisional school speech and language pathology license;
- Want to work as a speech and language pathologist in a Wisconsin public school
How to Apply for a One-Year License with Stipulations for Speech and Language Pathology
1. Determine if you must submit fingerprints
- Use the fingerprint decision tree to determine if this step is needed. If you have determined that you need fingerprints, submit them electronically via our vendor Fieldprint by following the Electronic Fingerprint Submission directions.
2. Gather Documents
Scan all documentation into files (.pdf, .doc/docx, .jpg/jpeg, or .txt) that are 2MB or less in size
- Preview the ELO Conduct & Competency Questions to see if you will need to provide documentation of any alleged misconduct
- A copy of your current DSPS Speech and Language Pathology license
- Transcripts confirming a masters degree
3. Log in to Educator Licensing Online (ELO)
- Within ELO, make sure you have answered the three onboarding questions.
- Find the APPLY FOR A NEW LICENSE section of the Quick Start Menu. Select the same choices in the three drop-down in the application screenshot below:
- Choose "1-Teacher Category"
- Choose "A-Teacher 9including 5-Year Sub) [T001]
- Choose "Teacher: Request Wisconsin School 1 Year License with Stipulations - Speech and Language Pathology "
4. Receive Email Confirmation
5. Complete Application on ELO
- Click the GO! button next to “Submit C&C and Payment to Complete Application.”
- Review your fees.
- Complete the Conduct and Competency Questionnaire (14 questions).
- Pay with a credit card or pre-paid card. For fee amounts and additional payment information please see License Application Fees.
Our processing times vary throughout the year. For current processing times see the Check Application Status page.
Speech and Language Pathologist: Continue to apply for the LWS1 with the valid DSPS license for a maximum of three LWS1’s. To be considered for a Tier II-Provisional License, the speech and language pathologist must either:
- obtain the endorsement from an approved school speech and language pathologist program and apply; or
- Obtain at least one year of school speech and language experience in WI schools and satisfy all statutory stipulations cited in a letter from the department by August 31 to apply.
Please note: IDEA requires those hired to serve as special education teachers, including speech and language pathologist, to complete the full requirements within three school years. Our office cannot issue additional Licenses with Stipulations that will allow someone to exceed this limit.